1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To Velke or not!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What do you folks think. I was considering adding a velke to our 36". I kow it may sound crazy, but I was thinking of increased productivity(especially on long hot summer days). It is a belt wb. It doesn't matter to me much, because I am usually running a ztr or the 52" hrydro (which yes, does have a velke). However, I was thinking of my help. My wife asked if it would be worth the money compared to the increased productivity. I am not sure how much it will decrease time per lawn. I was think more of time in a day based on operator fatigue, etc. Besides, I like to try and take care of our people the best that I can. What do you folks think?
  2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the velkes and I think it would be a good Idea to add one. The operator will be able to operate the machine faster and cover more groud with much less fatigue. They may be hard on the lower back though.
  3. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would get one but make sure that it has two wheels becaues the spripping doesn't look good with the single wheel.
  4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Rob, get a Velke X2 by Wright,do not get the single wheel because if you stripe your lawns it will leave an ugly 3rd wheel mark in the stripe. I'm sure the prices have gone up since '01 when I bought the one I had.

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That's what I think I will do. I will probably go get it from Laurel. That is what we have on our 52" and we love it. Yeah, I was never a fan of the single wheel.

Thanks for the input all.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I had a velke on a 36" belt drive wb last season. It did save some time espically in the summer but for the most part I chose to take it off. I keep it in the back of the truck some days but don't use it as much as I originally though I would.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using one behind 36" belt drives since 2000. I've had no problems at all, even when it's wet out.
  8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i dont really use wb's anymore but when i did there was nothing worse than walking all day in 100+ degree +humidy weather. i would probably walk the rest of the time. but it woudl be worth the investment for just those times alone
  9. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

get the velkie... heres my story. i went to the dealer where i bought the 36" and wondered the difference between the two, single wheeled or double. the guy said "see that guy, he buys without knowing the price. he sees it and wants it he gets it." i was new to all of this and he assumed i didnt have money. all i wanted to know which looked better. so i got his hint that i didnt have $ and told him im going to another dealer..."youll pay more $ there"
    i told him i had all the money like the other guy and wouldnt visit there again. so i paid $299
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd recommend the Proslide much more, but either will increase your productivity BIG TIME, even on a 36". You'll be twice as fast, and not tired at the end of the day.