1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To wait or not to wait, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BLandL, Mar 28, 2007.

1. BLandL

BLandL LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. Ive been watching this thread for a few years now and seeing what you all have to say. I have an excellent job working in a factory making 50k plus a yr, but my true dream is to open a lawn care business and turn it into a garden center someday. I have a degree in horticulture and am very good with the yard care thing and have worked at garden centers for about 6 yrs b4 I got this factory job. My question is what do you really need to get started, what a good price to charge, and if anyone knows the prices to start a garden center/nursery would be very much appreciated.
  2. BLandL

BLandL LawnSite Member

please help me
  3. Gilligan

Gilligan LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I hope this doesn't come off as mean, but if you have been reading here for a few years and you don't know what equipment you can start with, or what is a good price to charge, then you still have alot more reading to do...

and my opinion is wait.... and read read read....

its all here...multiple times.....
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

As far as opening the garden center is concerned, you will have to find real estate to build it on or buy a prebuilt building. Then you will need to find out what you can and will stock and such. You'll probably need a re-sellers license unless you grow everything yourself.

I'm not quite sure what it is you are asking for? I might cut grass for $20 here in Pa, but down in Fl, the prices will be different. The prices will probably be different in Iowa as well. You might consider talking to a few local companies to see what you might be able to find out.
  5. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

Respectfully concur. All the answers are here, just search on the topic of interest. There is an entire historical archive of great information here.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem your own question contains your answer. :rolleyes:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are making 50k with benefits stay where you are working.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep....if you are making 50K better stay where you are.....and why would you think about going up against all the chains and sell plants. In our area even grocery storys sell plants....and wallmart, lowes, homedepot, sears on and on. Even the best nusereys are going out of business.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not going to make that kind of money or benifits, and as said, you will never compete with the box stores...

buy a boat and go fishing...:clapping:
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your 50k yr job