To you stone cutters...Maybe the dumbest question ever?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PetalsandPines, Sep 19, 2003.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

OK....I must admit this....I have never used a chopsaw for other than cutting out a piece of sidewalk......How do you cut small pavers with them? Do you have to hold the pavers down, cut them on the ground or what? Once you cut through the paver, what is underneath as to not ruin the blade?
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep you were were right! That was the dumbest question yet. JUST KIDDING!! :)

Generally you build the field of pavers, then cut them where they are. The base for your pavers will be less damaging then the pavers are to the blade. If you need to cut some separate from the field, put them on soft ground somewhere and the blade should survive.
  3. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

I usually rent a table chop saw. Without the blade I can get one for like $70 a day. It seems like a pain to cut them with my handheld cuase they are so small. The table is fast, clean, easy and accurate. I wish I didn't spend the $1000 on my handheld cuase I usually don't use it but it comes in handy sometimes.

I agree with BRL, the ground works fine. But I can't see how I would ever actually cut them on top of my base. It kinda messes up the compaction doesn't it? It might be alright if its on the outside edge, but I wouldnt be comfortable doing that. I could be wrong.
  4. capital

capital LawnSite Member

For Patio work we use the table chop saw (electric). I do not think I would ever suggest dropping a chop saw into compacted area or dirt to cut thru a brick. Table saws work best, dry blade is what we use along with dry blades on are chop saws. I keep having images of a piece of lime stone flying across the project hitting either a piece of glass or someone up side the head................
  5. SuperShovel

why do you cut dry?
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a tool I found for paver cutting. Click image for link.

7. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

A couple ways to cut pavers with a handheld. Just as BRL said, overlay the field and mark your soldier course then follow the line with the saw. However, does not work well with serpentine edges.

If we have to measure and mark the pavers, meaning cutting them out-of-place, we either put them on a pallet or another paver.

Most of the pavers you do have to hold with your left foot. I am right handed. As you do the cutting you'll find what works for you.

Handheld = production = more $ in your pocket. However, just like everything there is a learning curve involved using the handheld saw.

95% of these jobs were completed using a handheld saw
  8. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have considered the wet miter saw more than once until I saw the price tag. Just can't justify it and I think I would end up using the TS350 for most of the cuts anyway.

I like the handhelp chopsaw but I have to pace myself so I don't throw out my back. This is one tool where working deliberitely instead of rushed is ALWAYS better.

I use the left foot to hold and just lay the brick in the grass. I try to angle the cut a bit toward the good side so I don't have an angled cut creating a wide gap between pavers.

I do not have a water jet on my saw, but would love to try one. Not sure you could use this to cut the bricks in place but anything to keep that darn dust down is an improvement.
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Small Makita circular saws with diamond blades are quite commonly used around here. The idea is that they can cut a tighter radius.

One thing you really have to watch with the cut off saw is the ease of which it can throw a paver across the street at the slightest bind.
  10. SuperShovel

I just want to say anyone who might be thinking a circular saw is somehow easier to use than a 14" gas powered saw. Give the gas powered big guy a chance. He is buildt for the job. And if you are using a circular saw, once you learn how to use the gas powered saws you will be one happy son of a ----- cuase those little things are a pain in the --- from what I have heard. But I could be wrong I've never bothered to use one.