To Z or Super Z, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by punk_rockin2001, Jul 19, 2006.

1. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

So after hours and hours of reading, and demoing 4 different brands, I've narrowed it down to a Hustler Z or Super Z. I also really liked Exmark, but the dealers won't give me the time of day unless I'm looking at a Triton, and told me Exmark doesn't make the ultra cut anymore, so that was enough to prove to me they didn't know jack. Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on the two Hustlers. The 25 horse 60" Super Z w/xr7 deck is $8499. The regular Hustler Z with 23 horse, 60" xr7 deck, and the good seat is $7499. I was leaning toward the Super Z, but my dealer says its not worth it, and I should stick with a regular Z. The only difference is bigger pumps, and 2 more hp right? The dealer also told me the XR7 deck isn't really any better than the old one. Opinions?????:dizzy:

2. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

get an exmark, you can get ultracut on the A S unit still, or an 05 leftover if thats what you want, i had a hustler and an exmark..... exmark is not as fast in the open parking lot but i still did and do as much if not more with my lazer when cutting grass.

3. punk_rockin2001

I agree w/you about the Exmark Vs. Husltler thing, but everything I've read on hear says to shop dealer and not brand. I had been warned about the exmark dealer near me, and now that I've spoken with them I don't feel like I could trust them to take care of me after the sale. The hustler people on the other hand are awesome. Its too bad the Hustler people don't do the Exmarks. At the same time though, do you feel it would even be worth it to overlook the dealer inequalities and just buy the better machine?

4. punk_rockin2001

Oh, and speed isn't really an issue, I'm not gonna be mowing 15 mph w/the super z, or even mowing at top speed of any of them.

5. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Most of us who own the Hustler Super Z's are waiting for Hustler to put a real motor in it. If you get a Super you should get the 28 EFI. I just bought a 60 super 27 kohler it is good but all the Hustler's supers need a bigger motor to really show you what they can do in heavier grass.

If you are mowing small properties the regular Z is fine but on big properties that MO FO Super will mow some FN GRASS! I just talked to 2 dealers who sell all kinds of ZTR's and they all agree if you are mowing large properties the Super will pay for it self quick,both dealers agreed it was the hot thing going if you can use those pumps and wheel motors. It shags a$$ period. In heavy grass you have to slow down some but when it thins a little push those sticks to the stops and it knocks the grass down good enough till next week, who cares it grows back next week you might as well go home early and relax and wait till next week.

I own a Exmark as well, nice mower but the Super is a way better value. It is cheaper and it will kick it's butt!

6. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

You say that but you are wrong, when you get in a area where no one cares less about and it is big and you want to go home just push those sticks to the floor and start passen those cars on the interstate!

7. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I had a choice of a demoed EFI 60 super none XR 7 or a Demoed XR 7 27 Kohler, I took the XR 7 because I called Hustler and there phone rep said the XR 7 deck is way way tougher and that if I was going to be mowing full stick to get it because it will take a hit way better by their testing compared to the old deck.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I basically agree with REALSLOW. My Super Z will not kick the Exmarks behind though. Same motor size and deck size they are pretty equal just different. The Exmark trims better, cuts at a more uniform lenth, and has more power going up hills (I guess because of the smaller motors and pumps). The Hustler is more comfortble, rides better, tracks straiter, holds hills sideways better, has bigger pumps, motors, faster transport speed. Both great mowers. I imagine it is fairly flat there in Illinois so you may get by with less power but I'm thinking 27 hp is the least I would want. If you don't need the extra speed a regular Z would be fine but the suspension seat (about a $500) option is standard on the Super Z. That would be worth getting the Super. Just my opinion, you cant go wrong unless you get too little hp for the 60" deck. The 66" would trim alot better if you need that.

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Super Z with the 28EFI and a 60" deck. On Mondays I mow a large corner lot across the street from the local high school. All the cars are going at 15 mph because it's a school zone.....and here I am passing the cars:cool2: . LOL You should see the look on some of the car passengers as I pass them. BELIEVE ME, you WILL use the speed.

10. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I said the same thing then you realize the mower asks you to go faster in thin grass it will kick the Exmarks butt as soon as Hustler solves the HP problem it will kick just about anythings butt. I have a 98 Exmark with no suspension seat and the solid front tires. There are a few things I do not like about the design and the hydros are to touchy for my taste. The Hustler is fine on hills you just have to watch how much stick you use.