To ZTR or not to ZTR? that is the question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lovingreen, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

Now Really...How much more efficient is the ZTR over a comparable sized walk behind with a velke for all of you?? I am thinking of adding a machine for next season. I would love to sit down on a fine ZTR, but I am a tightwad and am just seeing dollars off my bottom line in initial costs and increased fuel expenses. Should I just purchase another walk behind or bite the bullet and get the ZTR???

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on what your mowing. When I got my z my dad had the same size deck on a w/b(hydro). But I would mow circles around the w/b. an example.
    We use to mow a mobile home park. It was in a big U shape. I was already mowing the other side by time we met together.
    But if you have nothing but small yards, a w/b would be better. If you have large yards and Z would be better.
    But its whatever you prefer.

3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a ztr if you can afford it. The time you save plus the physical energy you save will amaze you. Make sure you buy one that fits your properties. You may want a 52" or a 48" depending on the size of your properties. If you have work and intend to stay in the business, buy one and quit wasting time and energy. I walked it for 17 years I know of what I speak.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Z's travel faster, that's it.

5. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I agree with what's being said. The Z's have greater ground speed. If you're mowing areas that allow you to take advatage of the speed then go for it. If your mowing smaller spaces the increased cost of the Z may not be worth it over a walkbehind.
    -TAZ

6. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Z are good if you have the properties to justify it,you can make as much or more with good Wbinds but for big properties get a good Z not a cheap one. I was thinking of getting another Z this week to add to my collection but I soon realized not all Z's are created equal. It was a Bush hog with 66 hours on it I demoed it and it was uncomfortable and slow compared to my Super Z. Then I put them side by side and compared quality the Super is made so much better it is not funny. So if you go for a Z get a good one and just say screw it and drop the cash. I will never buy another Z unless it is Hustler quality and speed or better. You may think it is a waste of money but you will find in productivity and years of service with out always having to break the welder out the better made products are worth it NO CHEAP BUSH HOG FOR ME!

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Dang, I quit driving a truck a few years ago and borrowed money for my first ZTR without the first job. Started knocking on doors and I'm still doing it. I'm a tightwad too but not that tight. Having good tools WB or ZTR will make you money in the long run. Not sure if you need a ZTR but my guess that in Nashville you'll never look back after purchasing one. Keep the WB too.

8. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

OK, my properties are such that I can take advantage of a ZTR, I am an Exmark Fan. I love my walk behinds, the quality of cut, and the ability to cut well at full speed in most conditions. I would almost certainly buy another exmark, but after looking at the new triton deck on the laser and all the "adjustable, sliding features" I am not so sure about the durability of the new deck. I would love to hear from some experienced triton deck users.

9. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Do a search there is way more reading on that deck than you'll care to get into. There are a few Ultra-Cuts out there. I just got one last week on a laser XS.

-TAZ

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The AS series is a good entry level Exmark. It is a full sized Z and still uses the Ultra cut deck. 23/52 or 25hp/60" combinations. Just buy one and add what you want. They are basically the old original Lazer Z. I had one and never had problems.