1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tobacco use

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by happy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. happy

happy LawnSite Member

What are your policys reguarding tobacco use? Dipping and smoking I hate smoking it looks unprofessional, but if a customer comes up to one of my employees and they have a chaw in, then in my opinion that looks unprofessional. I am thinking about having smoke/chew breaks every 2 hours that is not on the clock. Definately no smoking in the trucks, but chewing i do not mind as long as there is no mess in the truck, but I guess I need to make an accross the board rule about tobacco in general. Please help me on this topic.
  2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say no to cigs on the job no matter what. It is too obvious and looks very unprofessional as you stated. I don't like the idea of something burning around equipment at any time. Chew wouldn't bother me as much. The second I found one drop of spit somewhere, then that would be done too. I'd just say don't let a customer see you spitting everywhere.
  3. LockedNLoaded

LockedNLoaded LawnSite Member

I agree somewhat with smoking looking unprofessional but I'd rather have someone smoking than spitting dark brown sh*t. As long as they don't litter their cig butts and spit in a bottle I tolerate it. Unless you work with your crew thats gonna be a difficult rule to implement and enforce.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're the boss, you make the rules.
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

exactly...it may be unproffesional looking to some people but theres nothing illegal about...i chew and my brother, the lawn crew foreman and one of the lawn guys smoke as well im not going to make a big deal over it
  6. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

No tobacco products in the trucks. No leaving cig butts anywhere except trash can, etc, and no spitting on anything concrete nor plants. Grass is ok.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are limiting your potential employees by not allowing smoking in the truck or on customers property. But its your business to do with what you want. I tend to focus on the finished product because that is what most customers look at, especially since they arent around when we are anyway.
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, that is a question I have pondered for some time. The problem is that people who smoke generally take more breaks than non smokers....Therefore they are less productive. Watch and you will see. Not just in lawn care, but in any business. It's like a smoke break is not a real break. They take their alloted time for eating lunch, and still manage to find time for goof off breaks, potty breaks, water breaks, etc...and 15 min. after lunch break is over, where are they...hudddled in the smoking break rooms with other smokers, standing in front of businesses smoking, and we have to hold our breath when we enter the building....
    I tell my employees you are welcome to smoke on your alloted lunch break. I am not too picky about smoking during periodic rest breaks in the summer heat. But no smoking when you should be working...No butts on my customers properties, and no smoking in any of my trucks...And they think that if I say no smoking in my trucks that they can open the door and take one step out of the truck, leave the door open, and light up...What's the difference!!! :hammerhead:
  9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Smokers are far less productive than nonsmokers. During leaf season we all work together so I see it all. The nonsmokers run out of gas, go to the truck, fill up, drink some water, and back to work. The smokers run out of gas, go to the truck, light up a smoke, take some puffs, drink some water, fuel up, light up another, drink some more water, and begin working only when they are done smoking. Total refuel times are 3 minutes for non smokers and 8 minutes for smokers. At the end of the day they spend 30 minutes or more not working and getting paid than the non smokers. One guy actually noticed this and started smoking, just to work less.

I am constantly having to tell the smokers to get back to work, and they look at me like hey we are on break and we'll get back to work when we are done with this butt. They also expect the same lunch times and bathroom breaks. And they wonder why I pay them so little. I pay for performance, and bonuses as well. Typically the smokers dont get performance bonuses as often. Most are OK with that as long as they can keep smoking. Of my full time guys the 2 smokers make about $1 less / hr than the nons. These 2 guys have only been with me a few months and they wont be back next year. In addition I will be adopting a non smoking while working policy for next year. I fired someone once cause he left his dip on a customers driveway. I also fired another cause I caught him fueling with a lit butt in his mouth.
  10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

It can be a real problem....