Tobacco while on the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

my rule is as long as the client doesn't see it.

meaning no smoking while working. only in the truck between jobs. as for chewing tobacco. well a client better not see you spitting.

2. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

Remiinds me of a scene from Josey Wales... start the clip at the 55 second mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MfbYnz8ucc

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys do realize that the client isn't the only one who is "watching", right?

Someone is ALWAYS watching.

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly. Someone is always watching....Judging....seeing if you are good enough for their lawn guy.

5. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you can smell the smoke, you're taking it in.

I personally don't let anyone smoke or chew in my truck or while working. I don't like it and thus I've made my company policies reflect my views.

And as far as people watching, even if the client isn't there someone else may see it. If you're mowing in front of a biz and someone on the road sees you smoking they might find it unacceptable and in turn find the biz unacceptable because they hired someone that has a "Disgusting" habit.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You talk like you have a crew and manage a "big" company. You work by yourself. Who else is there to apply your rule to if you work solo? Do you smoke?

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

What does it matter if he is solo or manages a big company. A policy can be created in a company and any FUTURE employees must adhere to that policy. Isn't it better to have guidelines for yourself and others who work for you than to just fly by the seat of your pants?

I am pretty sure that most of us started as a solo operator, unless they bought the business or it was handed down to them from family.

8. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

for now, my policy is, don't do it in the truck (I don't want my trucks to reek), or on the customer's property. If you gotta smoke, do it by the truck, and put the butts in an empty bottle (I had one guy put them in his pocket, I was waiting to see him running around one day with his pants on fire :dizzy:). Also, don't even think about it while running power equipment, although some don't understand why :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Have you read any of his posts? He works solo and doesn't want employee's. He only charges enough to pay for half the rent and utilities at his parents house. There isn't going to be any employee's. Oh yeah, he charges his grandma to cut her grass.

10. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Although I no longer smoke(been free for two years) I totally I agree with what your saying,Only in America will you find these ridiculous society groups preaching how their air space is being infringed upon outside,yeah right. You want clean air,then start partitioning that all combustion engines must seize operations immediately and learn how to horse back or ride a bicycle again,like that'll happen anytime soon:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.