Tobacco while on the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I remember some 40 years ago my dad smoking in the grocery store. He would just put it out on the floor! Cigarette butts everywhere on the floor. I even remember smoking in MickyD's back in the day. They use to have the small stamped out aluminum ash trays with the "M" in the middle. There's a place I drive by each week that is a smoke free property. The building and the closest place to be "off" the property so you can smoke is a good 300+ YARDS away. Talk about wasting time just to smoke a cigarette. Why even let them go off the property to smoke? Why not allow it in a area right outside the building? They're wasting so much money just for them to walk out and smoke.

2. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Smoke em if you got em............

3. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

I chew everywhere. Whether it's on a deployment overseas, working at the fire department or maintaining a customers property. It doesn't matter to me. Mowing is a not a high class profession, therefore I do not care at all.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

my ONLY concern IS the client when I'm working.

how is it a waste of money. last time I checked smoke breaks where off the clock so it's not like the company is paying them to walk 300+ yards to go smoke.

5. $DIXIECHOPPER$

$DIXIECHOPPER$ LawnSite Member

I always have copehagen in....and i have yet to hear someone complain to me about it. I do all commercial so i really don't talk to many homeowners, BUT i think it would be un-heard of to tell someone they need to not chew on the job, unless they are being stupid about it spiting on sidewalks or doing it in a disrespectful mannor.

That would be like someone telling me i can't guide clients on a duck hunt if i can't chew.....yea thats out buddy

BTW Guiding is the best winter job!!!

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Your logic is flawed.

Your client's neighbors are a resource that can help or hurt you.
    And they are watching.

7. tugboat

tugboat LawnSite Member

We currently allow only in the truck. Never while working for a client. I want to build my business so I do pay attention to the image we, as a company, portray even when the client isn't there. People watch - show professionalism -, it's a good thing.IMHO

8. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Because smokers typically take a whole lot more "breaks" than a normal non-smoker does. I see it all the time at the office I work in. The smokers leave to take a smoke break about once every couple hours. Even if it's unpaid, it's still a loss of productivity because they have to stop what they're doing to go smoke. Whether consciously or subconsciously, their mind is focused on that next smoke break and they aren't as productive.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

lol @ smokers. Weak minded vagrants.

10. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

If he's the owner or supervisor and doesn't leave his truck then I would say it's ok. Would I let guys use dip on the job? No, but that's just me, I think it's unprofessional. Anyway, as long as he takes out the dip when dealing face to face with a customer... it's his mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.