Today an employee chopped up 12lb caster wheel & didn't know it...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Today a large steel and rubber caster wheel fell off a ZTR when employee crashed it into fence.

Then, get this...

He chops it, destroying a spindle and leaving a blade in the grass.

He continues on mowing another 1100 feet of fence until he realizes there are only 2 blades on the machine.

The obvious horrible sounds that machine must have made as it ingested a 12lb caster wheel.

Competely oblivious, he never even noticed a wheel missing.

two words: DRUG TEST!!!!!!!!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And people say to me "Why don't you get a helper?". Yeah, right.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i wouldnt have believed it ,but i found out i was a pure genius ,when i started trying to find help.once when running a parking lot sweeping service . had a guy get up on the lot mediun and sweep it with the truck.. h-ll it didnt make to much exstra noise and he didnt want to have to blow it into the lot. course it did cost him a job and me about 2800 dollars.i know how to pickum.:)
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

a guy mowing across the street from my job ran over a wheel a few weeks ago ive never heard such a loud noise
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

While I was weedwhacking the church yesterday my helper was mowing. Very quickly, I noticed the grass was bending over badly on the right side of the tractor and not being cut. I stopped the helper, put my hand under the deck and sure enough the right side blade was missing. He said, "Now I know why it didn't seem to cut well and left streaks"................

People that have trouble with the mechanics of a "wheelbarrow" should take up sewing:D
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

owner of co i worked for a long time ago put blades on upside down the took it to a shop when it didnt cut good lmao
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The two words arent DRUG TEST,

they are

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago my uncle had a KID working for him. He takes the baby to the back yard and shows him a stump sticking out of the ground. Tells him DO NOT HIT THIS. The kid first round with a Snapper runs right over the stump, bends the crank on the engine, and the mower never ran right since. Get this, I was there that day and saw the mess, the guy had to PUSH down on the handles and LIFT the front of the mower to go over the stump. It was that high, and he still hit it.

It is ONE word.

9. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

Funny to see that being posted...... I had a caster fork crack on me today.... not by any negligence... not my fault, but I was looking at the other side of the deck when it happened and I took a small chip out of the solid rubber tire. I knew something wasn't right so the blades were disengaged and the deck was in the air immediately. So all it was was a caster fork that needed replacement.

I am not a newbie to mowing by the way.... I am on my fourth year Landscaping and I also am a crew cheif

I still cannot understand how your employee could keep going with that caster wheel gettting kicked around under the deck for so long..... he must be on drugs! I myself would be irate if one of my guys did that!!!!!!!
  10. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

believe it or not I've had the same thing happen twice on my walkbehinds. Fortunatly it didn't ruin the spindle but the blades sure did a number on the wheel and metal castor. Totally chopped into the rim. It happened both times while the employee was trying to get the mower under a spruce tree. It somehow flipped off the keeper pin that holds to castor on the frame. I know what your feeling buddy. Employees can't live with them, can't kill them!!!