Today I stained my mulch,

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by osc, Jun 5, 2000.

1. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco has a product called NuMulch that you mix with water and spray on with a hand held or backpack sprayer. I had seen stained mulch at a golf course and inquired at Lesco about it. They have a black and a red stain and today I mixed 1/2 oz. of red with 1/4 oz. of black and poured in 3 gal. of water and it yielded a dark red translucent color which looks surprising natural. <br>If you follow the instructions as written, the stain is more like paint and looks like like color enhanced mulch that you can buy in bags. It's not very natural looking. A<br>64oz. bottle of stain is $44 and change and goes a heck of a long way the way I mix it.<p>I don't know what the income potential is yet because this is experimental for me at this point. I am not trying to replace the idea of selling mulch but I would like my mulch jobs to hold up longer on the color.<p>By mixing red with black I got a color that is similar to an expensive grade cypress mulch.<br>Some before and after photos may in order here anyone wants to see this.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

We so far back in da woots we ain't even gots a lecso stoe. Man whats up wi dat?<br>lecso lecso we neet a lecso<br>Homer
  3. osc

Dial the 800 number and have it shipped. We can all be high tech rednecks.
  4. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

Yes, Yes. I would like to see the pics. I have considered using Mulch Magic Colorant from I was not aware that Lesco makes a similar product.<p>Tony S<br> <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Tony S
  5. osc

Tony:<br>May take a day or two on pics.
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey osc, did ya get those pics yet? I mean you've had 4 years!!!LOL!

Seriously though, if you have any pics, sure would like to see them. If not, maybe this spring you could snap some?

7. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Gogetter, I was considering my own experiement with the same type of product, just different company, I am very interested in seeing your results when you get a chance, I was also wondering if spraying a bed of pinestraw would help between pinestraw applications, Thanks! Eric
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I'd steer clear of any dye products in the rootzone areas of plants, unless your absolutely sure the dyes contain no petroleum based ingredients. JMO.
  9. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Sorry, I guess I meant OSC.....
  10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We use to "paint' lawns up in VA during the fall when they went brown ..... with the green dye Lesco has