1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Today is a Good day

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Dec 13, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

After weeks of waiting, and sand/salt runs in between, the first run back in October. Today was the day, at 6 am the weather guys were saying 2-4" that morning I made the call to get anything that wasn't on site yet on site. So I had the guys deliever a few things hear and there. At noon time the weather guys were saying 3-5" during the day tommorrow. So we are ready loaders and tractors in place, the shovelers trucks loaded up, plows on the trucks, we are ready to rock.

Tommorrow is going to be a busy day, time to start getting up early again.

2. site

site LawnSite Member

I'm watching the same storm. Eager to get out for the first time this season and see if the new guys can really plow. It's 10:45 and Im wondering if I forgot anything. Just have to find out in the morning. If my pager doesn't ring tomorrow with angry property managers then I will consider it a success. I'm most curious to see how the new walk behind mower-snow plow works. I saw it in this fall's snowmag and I knew I had to try it. I bought a 3' garden tractor blade for $50 and the welder charged $150 to modify the frame and put a shovel rack on it so we don't have to backtrack. We do at least a mile of walks at one of our condo jobs and it could potentially cut the time by 2/3. I'll know tomorrow.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

That same storm is due in here too, Geoff. Forecast is 3-5, with less towards the Canadian border. That's only 25 miles north of us so we may be on the northern fringe. Will know more by this time tomorrow. I'm going after a few hours sleep, it's due in here after midnight and as soon as I have two flakes down I'm going to hit it with Magic salt with a little extra liquid poured over the load. Temp is suposed to be down near 10 so I want the extra Magic in there to get things moving.
  4. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

Same storm here, they are saying anywhere from 2-6" (depending on the source)with sleet and freezing rain, and I CAN'T WAIT. gonna watch the 11pm weather and get some sleep, planning on 4am or so.
  5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same storm, all though we are only get the bad end, freezing rain. 1/4 inch thick ice by morning.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Me too, looks like freezing rain here in East PA, sleet and snow maybe 1" , so I just got back from laying 1 Ton of salt and Lesco melting walks. I was out before it started. On my way home, some roads were like an ice skating rink (really bad and scary) Well at least my lots will be black in the morning. Tomorrow, its expected to get up near 40 degrees, so its the early AM that I was worried about.

They are calling for another something on Saturday!!!

7. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

well Philly looks like a wash. about 1am and just some rain/freezing rain. I'm doing only res. this year so the only walk I'll be doing is my own. Good luck out there. I just gotta wait for the white stuff.
  8. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Well its 2:30 am waiting for driver to show up,he's still got 5 min before he's late, trucks are ready to run day number two we've already got 4-5 inches on ground and coming down hard. I hate plowing in traffic but going to be stuck in it today.
  9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck guys,I know a few of you have been waiting for this,I only got a dusting here, then to freezeing rain on to just rain,To much warm air in place here.I did get a salt run in.JRB
  10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

DOn't you just love ice, not!!! Cars everywhere!! Just got home from spreading 4 ton of salt. Buckets of fun here in western pa. Hopefully next time it will snow!!