Today....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Apr 21, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Today, I officially took my first customer away from TGCL!

Got a call from a longtime acquaintance who had just heard I was in the LC business. He had just verbally agreed to go with TGCL but hadn't signed anything yet. I quoted him a price of $216 per app for 5 apps. TGCL had quoted $133 for 7 apps. For the year I was a little higher but I'm local, and that counts for a lot in a small town.

So, does it always feel this good, or just the first time? :D

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I'm glad for ya kid but takin a customer from TG is a shallow victory.
    Usually like shootin' fish in a barrell!

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When I had my own Biz in Orlando, TGCL was one of my best customers...:) I got more business from them and usuallywhen I signed up a spray contract I got the lawn maint. as well.....
    Any time you take Biz away from a corporate Giant it nice. iw orged for TG Land Care when I moved to DC and the turnover rate at TGCL was just tremendous, it was in the 50% range, at least thast what the sales guys told us....it is believable..TGCL make their money on pure volume and the fact that as a corporation if one region does bad, there are others to bail them out...

4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I know, but it was my first. :cool:

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

The first time is special, but the good feeling never goes away. I have taken over a hundred and each one brings great satisfaction. Now comes the test, how long can you go without loosing one to them. I made it 5 years before the first and have probably lost 6-8 total since, and it hurts ten times worse! If you stay small and stay one top of you customers needs, it will be a long time before they get revenge, but when and if it happens, it will cause some introspection.

6. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

We take customers from TGCL all the time. There turn over rate is at least 40% in this area. We service over 8K customers a year both commercial and residential and 1K in Nashville. Sure they can under bid us any day but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for". Our customer service is second to none. Most customers will pay more for great service and thats what we sell.