Todays CAT Experience

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Aug 28, 2008.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Looking to buy a laser grader...It's $20k. Set up demo for today. We started work at 5am and prepped the area so it would be ready for the laser which was schedualed for 10am. 4pm rolls around, CAT guy calls says he's at the job site with the laser grader where am I? We drive over.......they did not bring a dual slope laser, they did not bring a tri-pod with a mast and said just put it on the back of my pick-up - that should be good enough. Wrong again turbo! I told the inattentive youth to go back to the shop, get the proper equipment so I can demo this little item properly.......and don'tcha think I would want to have it set up so there are no blind spots so make sure to bring back the correct mast. I have been working on this demo set up for two weeks, have been very specific and detailed in what I want, need, have and am going. The guy treated me like I was an inconvenience. I must say, the Cat machine with laser box sitting on site does make a fine piece of yard art. The actual service I have received from CAT to date is marginal with a distinct tone of arrogance and piss poor performance.......I know I am not a big operator.....I am only $250-$500k range of ownership of equipment, so I am small potatoes but if you say you are gonna do it......do it and do it on time or don't do it at all. They ( CAT ) cost me a day of work, screwed the pooch for tomorrow's jobs and Sat's job's and that's where I sit right now.......there is still day light, so they may show back up with the proper components.......anyone care to take a hard money wager on them showing up tonight with the rest of the components.......come on CAT boys show that loyalty and take the other side of this bet!

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

sounds like you get the same type of service out west as we get here in the east

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the CAT dealership needs some heads busted and some serious pep-talks.

4. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

What brand of laser box?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My turn.

Cat technology guy calls after I inquire on Trimbles website about laser graders and the differences and similiarities of the Apache components. We correspond over email and then met for lunch and he gives me a quote. I agree and they start the install end of May begining of June. They are still working on the system. Having some tech. difficulties. Tommorrow they are coming out with lead tech. to troubleshoot before calling Apache. Come to find out they are not really familiar with this system and need some training. Don't recall that part over the burger I had, maybe I need to close my mouth when I chew and drink less beer.

I will say there is zero arrogance and I seem to get along good with the sales tech guy and the guys who have been out to work on my stuff. I think he would really like a check for what they have done, but he acknowledges that it aint working right and there is a .5 inch difference in the system and they cant seem to understand why. I will not pay a dime until it is perfect. I have one chance to hit this market and the machine will be perfect. I also think they have already adjusted the bill to try and reduce their lose in time on this deal. I will address that later.

What bothers me is that it is practically Sept. and I still am not operational. I never harrassed them over the Summer to get out here, they came out as they could except for 1 week in July I was out of the area.

They are good guys and not like what you have run into Rock but the obviously delivering as promised and in a timely manner seems to be a problem. For the record Rocks dealer and mine are not the same.

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda sounds like dealing with my Case dealer...

But the service guys are awesome.

7. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

you need to be cat like when dancing around the hard questions. Like:

1) why is your price 20% higher than the competition for this machine or item?
    2) why do you act like you are bothered I have called to do business with you?
    3) why do some of your machines that cost more, do less?

Cats are quick on their feet, always land all four down, and have 9 lives. Cats are aloof and act as if they could care less about you and your life or business just as long as you feed them. They do not come when called.

Now you know why CAT is named after cats.:rolleyes::laugh:

8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch, that's like having Christmas delayed every day. I do rent stuff from Cat and they have always been great, I just don't like having that color equipment on the job site (we do put a sheet over it and park it behind the house).

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno what's with Cat in some places. I guess my company doesn't get along with Cat all too well, we run practically everything Komatsu. Funny thing is, we have a brand new 938H on another site that I've been working on the last couple days. Can't quite figure that one out, Komatsu builds a decent loader, not sure why management sprung for a Cat. Haven't had a chance to run it yet, but the operator says it's nice.

Bummer Cat has to be stupid and blow off customers regardless of their size of operation. Eventually it's going to catch up with Cat, how long it's going to take is hard to say.

10. jmf

jmf LawnSite Member
    from ny

We recently visited my wife's cousin in Indiana. Her husband had a D6 with laser control and I gave it try. It has an automatic mode but it assumes the machine can push whatever the blade is pushing. So I went to just operated and watched the level. I've never spent the time to master the dozer and the laser didn't help that much. I think I could have done a better job with my 4n1 on the ASV. I would guess that an good dozer operator would be using to confirm what he knows.

jmf