Today's Iowa State annual field day

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 19, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Two things I learned today:

1) Land-grant University professors all across the Country ask for your help -- they need your "digital pics" of pests, diseases, etc. Digital pics are what they all want now, so feel free to send pics to your local university.

2) One of today's venders was a Spyker distributer.........She told me that Spyker is coming out with a "ride-on sprayer/spreader" for 2008. We'll see??

I'm gunna carry a digital camera more often in my truck, so I can make posts more interesting. I just hate when the camera batterries shell out so quickly. Oh well.:usflag:

2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Try rechargeable NiMh (Nickel-Metal Hydride) not only do they last longer, they are rechargeable, get two sets for your camera and always have fresh batteries.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Hi ProLawn -- I just bought a 4-battery (AA) charger at Sam's Club with the batteries you recommended. I could have used my camera today: greenbug aphids on Kentucky blue + privet thrips on burning bushes.

Thanks for your help, americanlawn.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a Canon w/ a rechargeable battery. I just keep a little power inverter & the charger in my console just in case. I also replaced the memory card w/ 1 Gig card so it will take a ton of pics.

5. americanlawn

from midwest

Cool! Thanks!

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

American, So what was new at the field day. Wisconsin has a field day next Thursday. I have not been to one in years. I plan on going.

7. americanlawn

from midwest

We decided to send eight of us at the last minute cuz the temps were predicted to be in the low eighties instead of the typical mid 90's. Not much new (as usual), but we had a nice time. NOTE: make sure to get there early so you can pick up on the free stuff offered by venders (ink pens, coozies, hats, etc). Two things worse than normal this year: 1) billbugs, 2) summer patch. Iowa State's research station is huge and very pretty (640 acres), but it has very good "farm soil" --- much different from a typical homeowner lawn. I experienced the reinforcement that these professors are mostly about research, and they really do not have a handle on what typical homeowners have to deal with (clay soil, compaction, etc). Ohio State has much more expertise regarding billbugs -- OSU has actually gotten 90% kill of billbugs with post emergent products! Bottom line: it was a day off the usual running of routes. Oh yes, they showed us their building where they mix and store their chemicals. It was a small building with little ventilation. Their equipment was pieced together and way out of date. It was a joke compared to what we are used to. ISU had no clue regarding spreaders or spraying equipment -- sad but true. ISU asked us to forward pics anytime we saw something, but they insisted the pics must be close up & in focus. I reported the first sightings in our state to these ISU guys regarding fall webworms as well as greenbug aphids, so I hope you can understand why I am not impressed as to what my tax dollars are getting me. :confused:

8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

So how are the batteries working out?