Todays load of grass, and I think I need more springs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, May 23, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

With all the "why do you bag" talk around here I thought I'd post some pics of just how much grass I pull off of my lawns on a daily basis. Now the pictures here are from today, friday. All of my lawns today are small to medium in size, I can do 2 an hour, smallest one is a mere 2,000 sq. ft. the largest is about 15,000. most are in between there.

Most of fridays lawns are cut with the Walker. There's no way to discahrge or mulch any of these, which dosn't much matter to me, since I bag all the time anyway. The truck was empty when I started cutting today, and this is the results after today. Of course other days of the week I get a LOT more grass than this, tues. wed. and thurs. I have been dumping 2 times a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And... This is what I get from spend $400 this winter to have 2 leaves added to each side of my spring packs, and the springs "re-arched". I ended up with the same sagging rear as I had before. I desperately need some progressive overloads of air bags!

[​IMG]

2. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is a ton of grass. Do you have a your own place to dump or do you have to pay to dump?

3. Jason Rose

Don't have my "own" place to dump, but I have several places to go too. The one in the picture is a cow pasture, the cows LOVE me! It's kinda fun going out there a few times a week and watching the new calves appear and grow up over the summer. The owner of the cows is cool with it. I also have another plot that is owned by a guy I mow for. I dump in the tree rows on top of the poisin ivy. The 3rd choice is taking it to our landfill, where they have a compost area just for grass. It's free to dump there too. Thank god I have the choices too if I had to drive to the landfill every time to dump I'd probably go out of business. It's a pretty good trip out there, figure almost 1/2 hour round trip and the GAS it takes to get there and back!

4. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

How do you load the grass into the truck? Do you have the high lift on the walker or do you load it from the ground?

5. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Do you have the high dump for your walkers?

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Can i ask why you dont just use the Walker like you do and then when It fills up, use a garbage bag and then dump all the clippings into the bag and then leave the bag by the street and let the garbage people pick it up. Thats what I do, but i also cut in the city, I dont know if you can do that in the area that you live in.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

:confused::hammerhead:

-VERY unprofessional
    -way more work
    -our trash service has automated trucks that only pick up the trash dumpsters, and have a 3 bag limit on bags anyway
    -related to the previous one, there would be WAY more then 3 bags
    -there would be dead spots on the lawn from the bag sitting there for a week
    -who wants half rotten grass sitting at there house for as much as a week?
    -there are 30 other LCOs that would be more then happy to haul off the clippings that also would love to get more lawns

8. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I also bagged all my clippings recently, since the collection system is still on. I also filled the bed of the truck, I finished after my disposal place had closed, and then it rained the next day... I thought I would be frugal and wait until next time I was out there (day or 2) instead of making a special trip. Well, the smell that was coming from my truck was worse than pepper spray! I took the truck through the wash and it angered it! OMG what a rank horrible smell! Never again will clippings stay in there more than a few hours. To make it worse, I had my Dodge pick up, not the dump, so I had to pitchfork it out!:cry:

9. Jason Rose

No high dump, I use the dump bins. They work great for me, but I'm tall and can lift them ofer the sides of the truck bed pretty easy. For shorter guys it's not as simple. I've given thought to the high dump, but the sides on the truck are already as hige as it will lift, and it wouldn't be able to pile the grass up high like I can by hand with the bins. It only takes me about 45 seconds to dump and be back mowing again.

Dump the grass into plastic bags??? I don't know how to respond to such insanity. I can't fathom how many bags it would take, plus I'd have NO customers left after leaving a dozen bags on each driveway to fermnet for up to a week. Not to mention, the trash pick-up here dosn't allow extra bags not in or on the dumpster, and... you have any idea how irrisponsible it is to put grass clippings into a landfill??? That's a huge waste of very valuable space.

10. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

OOO we get trash pickup 2 days a wek and we have no limit so its not that bad. The bags sit out there for a day or two so its not that bad.