Todays phone message

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Uranus, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I got in today and checked my messages. Never had one like this before.

""Hello, my name is Jim and I live at xxx Whatever St. And I am looking to get a competitive quote for my lawn mowing for this year. We currently have a person who is doing it and are looking for some other competitive quotes. So if you would like to come out and look at the yard you can come out and give us a call with the price. Our number is xxx-xxxx and the house is at xxx Whatever St. and again my name is Jim and I am looking for a competitive quote for lawn mowing service."

I just shook my head as I listened to this. I am so far from being a "lawn boy". I am going to do a drive by and look at the yard and if it looks like I can make some money off it I will stop and price it for him. I am 99% sure this guy is just price shopping and I dont work like that.

What would you do?
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd drive by and take a glance. Why does he need more quotes if he already has someone:confused: If you do end up talking with him ask what the matter is with the current boy.
  3. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

You could not return the call, but that is not professional, but most of the service industry these days is not either.

I would call him back and say that I do not try to be the lowest price in town. I have reasonable rates and you will get a professional job done for those rates. If that is what you are looking for, I will be glad to give you a quote, but if you are looking for the lowest rate with a mow and blow, I don't do that type of work.
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the truth.

Take a look, give him an honest price, leave it at that.

At least have the courtesy to call him back or followup with him.
  5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

hehe... most people who call either have someone or had someone cut their lawns. Like it or not that's the way it is and it just happens that this person told Uranus. If a customer shops around long enough they'll always find an lco that will bid lower to just get the work. Quality only comes into play once your price is lower... there are a few exceptions to this rule, but most residential customers spend their "hard earned" cash slaving away at work and you have to pry it from their clenched hands before they'll spend it.

In other words, in residential it's the law of the jungle. They spend hard earned cash and they dont give a sh%t about cheap talk, just cheap job.

By comparison, in Commercial/condos, there a lot more customers spending other peoples money. ie... property managers, condo board owners, they spend others monies...easier to spend, less haggling and not so "tightly clenched fists" .... you guys know what I mean?? :laugh:
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

DurraCutter- I agree with all you said except the part about condo's. In my area you are just a Wh@re when your working for them. They sacrifice quality for price. If you get into them, most of the time it is because you were the lowest bidder.
  7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

ha... could be the difference in our market places. Here, condos are just another customer and they pay well. Keep in mind that in Alberta with the way the economy is it's easier, not always, to get a decent price. There are still lowballers though. I guess those guys can't read and are cutting their own b%lls off...:laugh: :laugh:
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just say I'm sorry but having considered the requirements, I'm afraid I can not help you at this time.
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That's how you make keep this business professional !
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would delete the message. Hes looking for a cheap "competetive" price. Why waste your time and gas to make yourself feel professional. Not calling a potential pita doesnt make you not professional.