1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toe Fungus

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by goodgreen, Feb 18, 2007.

1. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

This may be a wierd subject and I've never seen it discussed here. I've got that under the nail toe fungus on both of my big toes. The nails curve so badly that it starts digging into my skin. Tried lots of topical creams and lotions that seem to help control it. But nothing eliminates it. There is a prescription for it - but it's unbelievably expensive. Any ideas? Wearing heavy boots during the mowing season really creates and environment where this fungus thrives...
  2. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

If topical,lotions and sprays are not working breakdown and buy the prescription medication.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

As gross as this topic is... :dizzy:

I have the same problem, 2 toes bad, and one other thats kinda half bad. Iv'e also tried the over the counter stuff with no results. I'd imigine that it would take a year or so to actually clear up. Iv'e told myself many times to ask the Doc. about it, but when you say the prescription stuff is expensive, how bad are we talking here?

Of course they will tell you to leave your shoes off as much as possible and change shoes and socks several times a day. Not feasable when working!
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You guys are killing me! First Yummy now Toe Fungus. Lawnsite is going right down the crapper I tellya.

Seriously good luck with the toe thing.
  5. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

In-grown toenail???

I had them all my life...all 17 years:laugh: ...anyways...they got so bad, that i had gang-green on my left toe, and the podiatrist removed my toenails once, then again two monthes ago, after they grew back in grown, he took them off, and burned the nerve with a laser, now ill never have my two big toenails, but after two monthes, they have healed up, and i feel like a new man

hopefully you DO NOT have in grown nails...but i know once they start curving in, it only gets worse
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had some under the nail on my big tow. My wife is a pharmacist and she made a little extra medicine once when she had a customers prescription to fill. I'll ask her what the name is and see how expensive it is and if she can recommend something for you.

I found it looks like its gone so you stop putting it on then in a few weeks it comes back. Sounds like your going to have to change your socks at lunch time, and rotate your boots.
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im sure this is an occupational hazard that comes with the territory, just not many of us want to admit it. my wife saw a special on tv about how expensive it is and they said vasiline over the nail every night gets rid of it but it takes literally months 6-9 i think. i did it for a while and did look better thats too long for me, im married, shes not over grosses, she hates feet anyway.
  8. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

For what it is worth.
    my old doctor refused to prescribe the medicine because it can damage your liver. My new doctor suggested a solution of 50% bleach & 50% water sprayed on the nail for 15 minutes once a day. Then rinse & cover the nail with vicks (i like the idea of using vaseline do to the smell of vicks). When i was doing this regularly they seemed to be getting better but i am not diceplined enough to keep at it.
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the nail removed and have them destroy the nail matrix no more toe nail! My whole like both big nails just never grew right and were pain full I had them removed 5-6 times on each big toe till they finnaly would remove the matrix. Now I have normal looking big toes minus a nail which my wife says looks way better than the gross nails. no foot pain no troubles no sensativity nothing plus it is 2 less nails to trim a time saver!
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

And this is why I wear those dangerous white sport shoes.

I guess it really is all about risk...
    You either take the fungii, or you live with the knowledge that one day the mower may cut your toe(s) off.

As for me, I can't deal with the smell. The other thing I can not tolerate is HOT feet, that tells me there's something wrong, heat and feet are not good for each other (and in 90 degree weather, I see these guys wearing ankle high mountain boots...)

But whether I'm any better off, only time and I guess luck will tell, perhaps in the meantime, wear some light shoes any time you are not running equipment? And, go barefoot as much as possible...?