1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Told Cust. to F off!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, Jul 13, 2003.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok some may get on me for this but read carefully. I have been in this business for 19 years and this is the first time.

This guy called me a few weeks ago and said hey you take care of my neighbor a few houses down and I am going away for two weeks would you cut mine? I said no problem and he gave me the dates July 14 and 21!! I wrote them down on my schedule sheet and put it on the board in my truck (right after the phone call). Well Thursday I was pruning at a large complex I maintain and my wife calls me. This guy calls from up north just raising all kinds of h3ll with her. I mean cussing and such. He said that I was supposed to cut him on the 7th. I pulled my sheet and said nope not what I have.

Anyway I taled to another neighbor of his and not my client and he said don't cut unless I hear from him as the guy called him and said he was going to get someone else. I said no problem as I was booked through Sat. and I cut that area on Mondays so to go Sun. would not make sense.

Well today the ahole called and he was coming home from his vacation (on schedule) and not to cut it Mon. and all the while cussing a few times at me. So finally I had had enough. I told him that I did not like the way he spoke to my wife who does not handle any of my business affairs and that he could F---off and hung up.

He called back and left a message on my machine telling me how he was going to tell all his neighbors. And that he wanted to say that I was an A$$hole. My wife and I laughed as I said I already knew that. As you can tell I am very worried as I think his neighbors know how he is. In 19 years of business I have never failed to cut someone that I promised I would do a job for them, NEVER!

Just though this was kind of funny as I have never done this before and he just caught me at the wrong time saying the wrong things to my wife and me.

So go ahead all you guys who think I was wrong and let me have it.:D
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You were not wrong if you got the right date but I try not to ever stoop to their level if possible.(very difficult at times)
    As for the wife, personally I would not take it either.
  3. HOW DARE YOU!!!

You’re supposed to treat you customers with respect and dignity. Of course they’re not always right, but you have to be a “professional” and do the work.

However, he’s not one of your customers. So all bets are off. hehe … If someone started cussing at me, they’d get one warning. A second cuss word would terminate the conversation and the business relationship is forever. If they step over the line and take it out on the wifey, then …
  4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

If he told the wife off, I tell him I was going to make a special trip over, and its not going to be to cut the grass either:angry: Marc
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Good for you.

Customer service is one thing, but it doesn't mean you have to take abuse. From regular customers or anyone. I am a business man and I treat people with respect. If they don't treat me the same way, there's going to be a problem.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No one and I mean no one would ever talk that way to my wife. If he acted that way to you, I'd bet his neighbors know how he is too. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.:)
  7. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

There is a line;he just crossed it.No one had ever speak to my wife that way.Treat others as you want to be treated.Good for you.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i grew up around my fathers gas stations as a kid, which is based on retail customer clientel. I remember him always having the saying "the customer is always right,.... to a point". This guy who called you stepped over the line, and you had every right to tell him off. i wouldnt worry about that guy one bit. like you say...the neighbors probably already know how he is.
  9. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

If he talked to my wife like that I wouldn't even have a chance to do anything. All I could do is hope she showed a little mercy on the poor guy.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i am so proud of you right now, im getting emotional. did u really use the f word? i hope you did. man, dont mess with my money, or my family. u did good nel, real good, now one more thing: go to this faggots house, grab him by the ear, and drag him back to your house and make him apologize to the wife, then when he does, kick him where that bungy cord hit me.