Told ya so

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LB1234, Nov 5, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Back in the spring I went on a quote for another general contractor. Explained he wanted this backyard leveled, graded, and seeded. Spent about 2-3 hours on the quote cause I had to take a bunch of readings with the transit to calculate slope and amount of fill needed to bring it level. Long story short my proposal came out to something like 5 or 6 thousand dollars.

I lost the job to another contractor that came in at a few thousand less. I beleive he was around 2000 and for another 500 he'd sod the yard. Contractor wanted to know if I can go any lower and I said absolutely not. I explained that almost 25 yards or one tandem load of fill dirt was needed just to make a small section of the yard level. I also explained that you couldn't just level the yard out without installing a swale, drainpipe, etc. and having the water channel out of the property around the detached garge they just installed. He just didn't want to hear it.

I just got a call from the contractors business partner and he asked if I wanted a good laugh. I said sure. Asked if I remembered the grading proposal from back in the spring, yada yada and said that the job is so messed up the contractor has to come back and regrade the entire yard...which means riping out all the newly installed sod, sprinklers, etc.

Little bit of egg on his face:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

someone on here had this quote and i love it and have used it several times since: "pay p-nuts and get monkeys..." I believe someone had a real monkey on that tractor.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I love it! Maybe one of these days people will realize cheap price means cheap quality! What an idiot! O how you get what you pay for!

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

thats great even better that he called you knowing you could of done it right the first time......but what tandem are you getting 25 yards of fill in

5. LB1234

:cry: :cry: :cry:

That's EXACTLY what I told him on the phone this evening when he told me the story..."Pay peanuts, get monkeys."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm supposed to go up there this week to give another quote for some installation of some drainage lines. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Funny thing is the one partner wanted to use me the whole time...go figure.

6. LB1234

you are right, I don't know of one. Sorry bout that.

Way to spoil my parade!!:nono:

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I love when the higher price is proven right. Dumb contractors annoy me.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats awesome, especially since you got to hear the outcome.