tomaster trailers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat320, May 16, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Has any one seen or bought a tomaster dump trailer.Looks very good but it must cost a good$$$.What does every one think of itYou can see it at www.tomastertrailers.com

2. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Cat320,

I assume you meant

www.towmastertrailers.com

Looks like a nice trailer. I looked at one awhile back built by a company here in Mississippi. It was built almost just like that trailer and they wanted around $6500 if I remember correctly.

Jay

3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'am looking at Bri-Mar dump trailers.

4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at the Bri-Mar trailers too but they didn't seam as heavy duty as tomaster,big tex and a few other one I have seen on the net.All the good trailers are so far from Ma that the shipping takes up half the cost of them Toms Rv in california for about $4-5 K alot les than around here but then the shipping comes into play and raises the price.

5. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I've been looking for a dump trailer for a while now. The trailer of choice is made by baker , just saw two of them at a small town horse trailer sales yard . I mean this thing looks like it could haul a d-9 cat. Were talking over built to the max. a 12' 80" wide trailer sells for 5250.00 and a 14' sells for 6000.00. I think there made somewhere in illinois.Need to research this a little more. This made a bri-mar look like a tin can. Two hydro. rams not one . And it's built to haul a skid loader etc. If your looking look this way because i haven't seen anything short of a tank thats more built. :blob3:

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

I just purchased a 6x10 lowprofile ezdumper this spring and love it so far. I must say, I question its construction a little, but so far it has worked out better than expected. Think the price was $4200, and its a 10k gvrw with 4 wheel electric and included ramps.

I looked at other brands and will say that the ezdumper is not as heavy duty as the others, but I felt this was a good thing.

My concern is that with some of these brands, they build them so dam heavy duty that you end up throwing another 500 lbs of steel on them. I am only pulling with 3/4 ton pickup, so I wanted to get as much payload as possible with as little trailer weight. Dump trailers get heavy quick, so I feel saving every pound does help out later down the road.

Maybe the trailer will not hold up as well over time, but if it saves me the replacement of a transmission/engine due to pulling extra weight around, then I figure I am ahead of the game.

steveair

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i have an H&H trailer that I really like. The one i own is a 10500# hydralift. They have a dump model too. Look at the website...the prices are very reasonable.......very. www.hhtrailer.com good luck

8. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Steveair - read your post with interest regarding the EZ-Dumper and the "heavy-duty" factor.

Since I get to work on quarry equipment/plows/etc a lot I'm definitely on the "over-build it" side of the fence. But you make a good point regarding empty weights - especially with today's fuel costs!

Big trucks, which I drove for a few years, have to deal with the same payload-to-weight considerations. The tendency is to make them as light as possible, especially trailers. There is always a trade-off between reduced weight & reduced lifespan.

One of the reasons things tend to get built so heavy-duty in the pits is, about the smallest piece of equipment in them is a Cat 980 or similar loader! (Need to make a small adjustment to a conveyor, bring the loader over...........BANG!)

Provided you don't abuse and overload your trailer, it should do quite well for you.

One thing I'm wondering: Is there a lot of tube used in its construction? Tube is great for keeping weight down while maintaining strength, its big drawback is the tendency to trap moisture/dirt/salt & then rust from the inside out. I've done a few of THAT type of repair...................

9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

The ez dumper is 95% C-channel. The frame, bed supports, around the body, hitch A-frame, etc. The only piece that is different is a huge 8" square beam that goes across the front. The lift pivots off of this and also the A-frame hitch goes into it.

As for weight, I weighed in the other day and my 2500HD chevy and emptly trailer weighed in around 9300lbs. That does not leave a lot of room to be 'technically' under the GCWR of the vehicle. I am glad the trailer is as light as possible now, especially when you try to pull 3 yards of stone in it. The truck gets a pretty good workout. I usually only do 2 yards at time.

Also, for whoever, be sure to get brakes on all 4 wheels. You will need them. I know a few companies offer it as a option, which it really isn't in my book.

steveair

10. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the sound of "Channel" as opposed to "Tube". Really cuts down on the moisture trap factor.

And I feel the same way about brakes on ALL the wheels. Again referring back to my truckin' days, the more stopping power the better. Funny how on the big stuff, I don't think brakes on 1 out of 2 axles is an option.......................