1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

so since you used the rinox belmont have you tried their edgestone? they look decent on the site but they wold fit perfect for a job I have.

2. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

Well hard work and from your work pics... you are an anal SOB(compliment)!

3. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

We have not used their edgestone. They do look good on their site though.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Word From The Wise:

30 yrs in Bidness is nice and all. Cept your company hasn't been doing interlocking pavements for 30 years, as interlocking pavements were nearly unheard of in the United States back then.

I have little respect for work executed not utilizing geo-textile fabric.

The stuff costs 9 cents a square foot.

People are so afraid of spending $450 for a roll of fabric. The roll will last for 3, maybe 4 average size residential gigs.

Cheap Insurance.

Get in the game :)

5. DVS Hardscaper

Edge restraint properly installed should not be visible :)

It drives me up the wall when my guys install it and it's visible.....

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I really think installing the edging is the hardest concept for new employees to understand:hammerhead:

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

On further obversation I do see some edge restraint. Couple of jobs I did notice the outer brick edge had opened up a bit so I assumed there was no restraint.

8. DVS Hardscaper

Word, I saw that too.

Many here will attribute that to lack of border.

I primarily attribute it to insufficient quantity / not close enough spacing of spikes. And possibly the spikes are not anchored tightly into the aggregate base, which would derive from insufficient compaction.

9. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that's a lot to assume from one picture. I know what picture you guys are referring to, its the last photo from the permeable paver job, the little piece on the left side of the walkway. What do you use for edging on permeable pavers?

In this instance i would attribute it to a lack of a border and the lack of seeing it before i took the picture. Small pieces on the edge of permeable pavements tend to try to role or push out when run over with a compactor because of the 3/8" beading stone they sit on. When compacted 3/8" stone is forced up in to the cracks, or the pavers are forced down into the stone, how ever you want to say it. And it pushes the small pieces on the edge out. You could put a spike in every hole and this would still happen.

Those pictures were taken on a job about 3 years ago, we now put a border around all our permeable paver jobs. We also now do not put the edging directly into the stone base as it does not have the strength to hold the edging in place and in turn the pavers. We put a 1ft wide "border" of 3/4" compacted gravel base around the perimeter of the stone base and put our edging into that.

Bottom line, yes it should have been fixed and hopefully the boss man did before we left the site because obviously i didn't see it.

10. DVS Hardscaper

3/4" aggregate will anchor a spike????

Crusher Run - Yes.

But Clean - ??