TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

More pictures from the same job on the lake.

DSC01214.JPG

DSC01215.JPG

DSC01217.JPG

2. TomG

A good sized patio project we did in the backyard of a home in a 55 and older development.

DSC01220.JPG

DSC01221.JPG

DSC01222.JPG

DSC01223.JPG

3. TomG

Another patio project at another house in the same 55 and older development.

DSC01224.JPG

DSC01225.JPG

DSC01226.JPG

DSC01228.JPG

DSC01230.JPG

4. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

i use a small (4") catch basin at the bottom of the gutter drops to provide an air gap as well as to provide a clean out location

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yep, sure looks like pavers layed on the ground!

I'm not liking that downspout with the elbows that is protruding into the patio. Not sure why you needed elbows going into the ground? Also, if you have settlement 8 yrs down the road, will the end of the elbow seperate from the pipe in the patio? We do a straight shot, no elbows, and we have at least 6" of overlap, so if anything settles and seperates...the water wont damage anything.

6. TomG

I agree with you, we normally do just what you described. But on this job and actually all the jobs in this 55 and older community we are working for the builder so what ever he says goes (of course within reason). The downspout and drain pipe were installed by the excavation company and they are a bunch of hacks (as you can tell by having to put on elbows). :hammerhead: The drain pipe under the patio is solid pvc so we would have had to dug it all up to move it over, so we asked the builder and he said to leave it because of course we would have charged him to fix it and he wants to save money. And honestly in 8 years I would be more concerned about how much the house settles not the patio. lol I remember the excavation guys put that drain pipe in 3 times because the water in it was running the wrong way and obviously they still didn't get it correct. That's how bad the excavation company is.

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

8. TomG

I know people will disagree with this but there is no drain pipe. The area above the wall is a paved driveway and everything pitches away from the wall. There is only a 3ft bed directly behind the wall that the fence is in and some plants.

9. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

yikes! on a ten ft wall? pipe is cheap man, give me a break.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry Tom but those practises are not advisable on such a tall wall. Maybe you should just stick to excavating and hire someone who properly knows how to do installs.