TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

I do apologize. I was thinking of another member.
  2. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

Only runs $444.78 up here!
  3. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Your spelling drives me crazy, mainly because I know you do it on purpose.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

LOL - that's how I know if anyone is actually reading my jibber jabber!

5. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

First off DVS, for the record, I have never used "the angle of the photography" as an "rationalization" for a question you or others have asked me.

This next project was done two years ago. It is a permeable paver driveway. With a front walk, srw and some granite steps. This project was done before ICPI had even come up with its PICP course so yes not all of it is done to there specs. Although I did take the PICP class this winter and we did this project pretty darn close to their standards.

A few things we should have done differently and will do on future permeable driveways/projects: not compact the sub-base, dump infill stone on a geo-synthetic or anything that does not let the stone touch the ground so the dirt does not contaminate it, and also use some sort of a geo-synthetic in between the 1.5in and 3/4in stone. We didn't because we we didn't know how it would effect the water flow between stone.

I have a bunch of pictures so if your reading this please hold off on comments until i have all the pictures up. Also i will do my best at explain what we are doing in the pictures because it seams that a lot of people haven't had much experience with permeable pavers.

First two pictures are before and afters so you can see the scope of the project. Second two are also before and afters. As you can see we took down the mound of dirt and the one tree in the front yard. The home owner was sick of looking out there windows and seeing the hump in the front yard.

6. TomG

First two are before and afters of the town drainage pipe that was under the driveway. We replaced it with a 12" pvc pipe. Third picture is of the permeable paver. A major misconception is that the actual paver is permeable, as you can see that is false, the joints are permeable. Fourth picture is of a circle pack we put in the driveway. the brick is a normal paver but we just filled the joints with stone.

7. TomG

All pictures: beginning the excavation of the mound in the front yard

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

There are some pavers that are actually permeable themselves, they kind of look like exposed aggregate.

What kind of permeable pavers did you use? They have some serious joints compared to what's local here.

How far down did you excavate for your drive and your patio?
  9. TomG

Picture one: begining the excavation of the driveway.

Picture two: driveway excavated.

Picture three: compacting the sub base. This was not the correct thing to do. Since we were not trying to capture the water you do not want to compact the sub-base because it makes it harder for the water to ex-filtrate out of the system.

Picture four: new SRW and the pipe that was used for the culvert under the driveway

Picture five: compacting the 1.5" stone. Also you can see here the "border" of 3/4" gravel that i had talked about in a previous post on a permeable patio. This is used to anchor the edging spikes in because a spike will not stay in clean stone. (DVS this is what i was trying to describe to you in my response to your question on that post)

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

'Ol buddy you may wanna do back and look at my wording. I did not state you :). I was implying that we super dooper looper silver members have heard it all.

Posted via Mobile Device