TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I won't "share" as it's not my thread. (spoken confidently) -ALL IS WELL :)

I was jus showing installing mega steps without safety devices is not a complete, professional job. 3 steps - sure I could let that slide. But 4 or 5......

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. kgserv

kgserv LawnSite Member

when i built my house the code was a 4'' gap wasnt allowable, is it different outside, just a question
  3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Babies' heads are the same size inside and outside. Seriously though, any deck or other railing detail I submit to the county has the same info, "spacing shall not allow the passage of a 4" diameter sphere."
  4. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

there is an exception of no more than 6" sphere for the triangular area formed by the riser tread and railing system.

all of my comments have been based on the IRC 2006 code.
  5. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Since were on the subject of granite stairs. How about these steps! This is one of the most difficult jobs we have ever done. I was only 13 when I worked on this job so unfortunately I only have these pictures and they are not the greatest. And yes that is what 40 granite steps look like all in a row. Also there are 12 steps that go from the main stair case, up under the deck (under the circular in closed area). You can barely see the steps in the 4th picture.

This is a house on a lake (pictures are taken from the top of the boat house) and their house is on the side of a very steep hill as you can see. The middle 2 pictures give you an idea of the slope we were working with. The home owner had wooden stairs in the exact same place but they were severely rotted. So they wanted something that they knew would never deteriorate and required very little maintenance.

What we did was I was in our bobcat 331 excavator on the corner of the top of the wall and I would boom down the granite steps in to place with a log chain. I would also lower any stone and tools the guys needed down to them. All the excavation for the steps and placement of the steps had to be done by hand until we got up high enough to where the 331 could reach. If my memory serves me correctly this job took about a week. Also all the walls you see we did few years before.

As I have said before we don’t install railings because we don’t have the tools to make custom railings (if needed) or the tools to drill into granite. The homeowner did have a railing installed on one side of the stairs, I just don’t have a picture of it.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Nice, reminds me of a job where we did 77 steps from a boat dock to his garage. We used lumber and brick combo though.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

That guy in the pic needs to run up and down those steps 10 times without stopping.....

8. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS, I've decided I don't want to meet you after all, since you'll probably hand me a bottle of Hydroxycut and tell me to come back after running a couple laps around the neighborhood :laugh:
  9. DVS Hardscaper

after 17 pages of pics of what we all do everyday, what else is there to say?! I did get a good laugh out of Zedo's picture of the baby biting it's lip!

Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

The corners on that tall wall would drive me up a wall if I had that in my back yard at my $2 million house.

Now that I look at it again, the corner at the "front" of the wall would drive me nuts but the corner at the "side" looks a lot better.