1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't going to sound very nice. Keep in mind I'm the Simon Cowell of the forum.

Alotta the work we're seeing looks like work done by a company who's primary clientel is builders. Just average jobs. Nothin settin the world on fire. Kinda like when Simon told his contestants they sounded like karaoke.........

Posted via Mobile Device

2. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

The 2011 hardscaping season started for us today. Its good to be back doing what you love, and not plowing that damn white stuff. Hopefully everyone has a good season!

Continuing on with granite projects... We replaced an old concrete precast pad and step that was sinking with a 10' x 3' granite pad and one 10' x 1' step. The granite is just dirty it was raining and the dirt turned to mud. We also pulled out the old flagstone walk and the paver crew will be installing a paver walkway tomorrow.

P4050001.jpg

P4050002.jpg

P4050003.jpg

P4050004.jpg

P4050005.jpg

3. PSUhardscaper

PSUhardscaper LawnSite Member

Why not use 2 granite steps the same size? Now you have 3 steps with 3 different tread depths. The granite looks good, but by matching what was originally there, it seems to me that you may have only improved the step's aesthetics, not function.

4. DVS Hardscaper

Again....no evidence of geo-textile fabric under this new walk.......

5. TomG

The homeowner liked having the pad. They just didn't like the concrete look. The homeowner said he is going to have the cement pad directly outside the door veneered.

6. TomG

I could be wrong... and maybe only silver members can see it :)... but I don't see any evidence that the walk has been prepped (because it hasn't) or really any pictures of the walk at all???

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious why you have geogrid under the granite, I've never seen it used this way before Tom.

8. DVS Hardscaper

Zedo, that is how they keep things from settleing. :hammerhead: Well, that's how they sell it to the home owner, anyway.......

9. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Gonna get some pics of the paver walk for us?

10. TomG

We use it to reinforce the processed gravel. For this pad we excavated 12" and put in 3 layers of geo-grid. You could use a geo-fabric also, it pretty much does the same thing in this application. We like to use the grid under our granite stoops because of the high point loads, and generally geo-grid is stronger than geo-fabric.