TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

I did not work on this job today, so no i don't have pictures, it wasn't much to see though it was only 10' long.

2. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

???? I'm confused.

3. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you use geo-grid behind a wall...? To reinforce the soil. Its the same concept here. The geo-grid is put on top of every new lift. And its the same concept as using geo-grid to reinforce a road. Like this picture(not mine).

1111.jpg

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

There may or may not be soil involved Tom. When we construct steps over 3 levels high with side walls or retaining walls with heights above 24" inches we'll use geo-grid to reinforce the granular base and to prevent the wall from leaning or collapsing. I'm not convinced that geo grid would do the same thing under the steps. But I'm intriqued and would like to know if it really does help. What are icpi's thoughts on this.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Tom, buddy you are WAY off. Grid IS NOT used to " reinforce soil". It is used to stabilize the block, to keep the block from rotating forward.

Geo tile fabric is used to form a bridge. Or a membrane. It's used to keep the aggregate from intermixing with the soil.

The grid you folks used under the granite is doing absolutely nothing. It is not stabilizing and soil. Grid has it's strength in one direction as that is where pressure is apPlied when the block pulls on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

I will argue that point Retaining wall block is strictly a veneer over reinforced soil. The grid des help stabilize the soil in 2 directions. now geotextiles do offer more support over grid they both serve their own purpose. now should they use grid under the granite I would sa not on the base. on the 2nd step sure. Geo textiles should be used over grid in this case. Is it wrong no not really but is it really needed? My choice would have been textiles under the base and maybe a 2nd layer depending on soil conditions. which looked way to wet to even try and work with. Bt none the less the work he has shown looks decent so far yes minor little flaws here and there bt they are making sales and making the money so don't judge. If they really screw up I will go fix their mistake and charge double.

7. Perfect touch landscapes

Perfect touch landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Andrew I have to disagree with you. To the best of my knowledge I was always under the impression that on a reinforced retaining wall, the wall block really just serves as a facade.

Maybe I'm wrong? Either way I just always follow the engineered plan. I did chuckle about seeing the grid under the granite steps though.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Grid is nothing more than a brace for a vertical structure, not a horizontal structure. It holds to the block. The weight of the soil bearing down on grid holds the grid in place, when the grid is held tight this prevents the block from "rotating". Very similar theory from welding and fabricating as well as structural construction.

Geotextile is a brace for a horizontal structure. And moreover, a membrane.

this is were ICPI and NCMA classes cane be beneficial.

What really gets me is a few weeks ago Tom stated that the soil where he is at is so firm that they don't need fabric under their pavers. YET - he is now claiming that the NEED grid to "stabilize soil"!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  10. DVS Hardscaper

The soil is what holds the grid in place. The grid does not hold the soil.

This is why grid has strength in one direction.

And there is now bi-directional grid.

Because there is / could be a load pulling on it horizontaly.

Just like when you connect a rope to two trucks and you try to pull one turck with the other.