TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

No, We do 80% hardscaping (Granite work, walk ways, patios, walls), 20% landscaping (plants, lawns, mulch) and the only landscaping we do is on jobs that have hardscaping. We don't do mulching, plantings or lawns unless its part of a hardscaping job. Also we don't mow lawns or do spring or fall clean ups. But I guess its all up to what you classify as "landscaping" and what is "hardscaping"

2. TomG

Retaining wall with granite steps and walk way.

DSC00580.JPG

DSC00582.JPG

DSC00584.JPG

DSC00585.JPG

3. TomG

More shots of the previous job

DSC00586.JPG

DSC00587.JPG

DSC00590.JPG

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That lower walkway would of looked better if it wrapped around and connected with the retaining wall.
    My point was that I see big jobs but the finesse is lacking. Thats what I meant when I said you guys do more landscaping than hardscaping. Not to worry, I'm just a picky sob.

5. TomG

No worries, I posted the pictures of the projects so people can state their opinions on them and possibly help us do a better job. What do you mean by finesse is lacking? I'm just curious, I'm always looking for pointers.:)

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

The pond work looks great and the overall design is quite nice on the patio but I see some unevenness in the wall flow and the firepit caps, it really looks notchy rather than flowing smoothly. Just like the cutting in the patio, too notchy, I think that stems from not having a good method of cutting or marking your cuts. What method do you use? cutting in place, laying the soldier first then marking one at a time? or do you mark and bring them to the saw? You really need to mark them all at once but stand back and take a close look , you'll get a picture of how it will look when it is finished. This is what separates the real professionals from the average hardscaper. I see this alot in my area, we see guys who can do the work, even have nice designs but the overall flow and fluidity is lacking.

7. TomG

Thanks for the input. We cut in place for the brick work.

8. TomG

Project we did at a house on the ocean.

DSC00562.JPG

DSC00622.JPG

DSC00565.JPG

DSC00628.JPG

9. TomG

More from the previous project.

DSC00566.JPG

DSC00633.JPG

DSC00623.JPG

DSC00626.JPG

DSC00629.JPG

10. TomG

Replacing a small old stone wall with an SRW.

DSC00638.JPG

DSC00658.JPG

DSC00639.JPG

DSC00659.JPG