TomG's Photos

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TomG, Feb 7, 2011.

1. CSLC

CSLC LawnSite Member

Isn't that the TECHO project for one of their catalogs?

2. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

did you pour footings for the rocka steps in front...?

3. Greenboy24

on second look it looks like wall block right?

4. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Yea its for the techo showcase and this project is also on the cover of the Techo catalog this year.

5. TomG

They are on 4" cinder blocks. The blocks were leveled then the rocka steps were glued down to them. Its very hard to level the rocka steps on there own because they are textured, using the cinder blocks insures that the rocka steps will be level.

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

What determines when your boss has you guys use the big weber vs the "little" wacker ? ( i just assume it's about a 3050 or 3545) I see in one pic they are both on the drive together,
    Steve

7. TomG

Well, nothing really, those are our two main compactors, one for each of our two crews. When were doing a driveway, permeable project or a really big patio we will use the weber exclusively. But we use the weber even for 100sf walkways. Obviously we try and use the bigger compactor on the bigger jobs. A bigger compactor is one of the biggest money MAKING purchases you can make. Yes, money making. The weber CR8 has centrifugal force of 16,650 lbs, its really nice to be able to compact 6"-8" of base properly, in one lift. And yes the wacker is a 3050.

8. Greenboy24

Yea we do the same thing using wall block but for some reason it looked like poured concrete in one pic to me and I have never seen that method

9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks...I think the 3050 might be 6700 lbs ...so you have no problems using it for a driveway? & Do you guys..or anyone reading this , go to the extent to take proctor density readings?
    Steve

10. TomG

No no problems using it for a driveway. You just have to do proper lift thicknesses. Heck, you could use wacker 1550 for a driveway, its just going to take you a lifetime. No we dont take proctor density readings. We mostly do residential work so its usually not warranted. But we have bid on commercial jobs where it was required.