Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Headed to the Case dealer in the AM, I was headed last Wednesday then my truck died on me. Got the ignition module replaced for $50 and the Ford is running again. With that said, I'll make another go at it to see what I can dig up on the 400 series and maybe run one around the lot and see what all the fuss is about. Obviously I won't be able to check out the series 3, but I'll see if they can tell me anything about them. Maybe they'll have a hat for me, but I doubt it'll replace my Cat hats. :laugh:

Seriously though, I better be impressed with Case or I blame KSSS. You will be recieving a bill from me for time and materials next week if I'm disappointed with what I see. :drinkup:

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I was thinking of asking my CASE salesman...(did I just say that)...if he would drop off a machine to run side by side against my 297C....let the best man win....:cool2:

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Scag.....and here I thought you won the lottery or were taking out some hot chick. I was all excited for a moment.......but at my age, that's all it lasts anyways is just a moment. Take some pictures.......

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Well if your not impressed, I should at least be thankful that you got out of the Audi and into a Ford. That T&M bill would have been much larger in the Audi.:clapping:

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I loved that car, had it for 2.5 years and did basically nothing to it, then a fluke timing belt prematurely exploded, that was fun.

Will take some pictures, I'm headed out the door right now.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

oops double post

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Alright, back from Case. They didn't have a single skid steer to be found, pretty disappointed. 3 excavators, 2 dozers, a couple minis and a roller, that's about it. Reminds me of the Deere dealer back home, 10 machines or less on the lot, all the time. I have pictures as promised.

CX130
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CX160 with 5,1XX hours on her and a CX31B
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PNW spec thumb and coupler, PSM Series II
    [​IMG]

650K Series 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CX50B
    [​IMG]

Not sure about this "power tan" stuff. The cabs in the excavators leave a lot to be desired. I'm not too much of a gadget guy, but the lack of a well placed monitor is a little funky. Everything in the cab that you need to reach seemed like it was in an odd spot and the arm rests do not leave very good access to the throttle dial. I thought it was strange that both the CX130's on the lot came equipped with ether starting aid and to lock the house swing you actually had to push a button in the cab, isn't that automatic with like every other brand right now? I'm disappointed to see that the CX130 is only available with one undercarriage option and it seems short. The CX160's carriage looks about right, but if given an option I'll take a long carriage any day of the week. The hydraulic disengage lever in the CX's are plastic, way to go Case. At least Cat supplies a nice, metal rod that won't break in half. I didn't notice any vents for a heating/AC system, they might have been there but I could have missed them, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see one in front of the operator anywhere. I guess it's small things that irk me the most, some people shrug them off, but c'mon, I know that machine has at least heat but there's no vents anywhere visible?!?! I dunno, I'm hoping the series 3 skids have nicer cabs than the excavators. I did sit in the CX50 and the cab had lots of room to the front, not so much behind the seat, but it's definately less claustrophobic than most enclosed cab minis I've been in. They mounted the thumb control on the left joystick, which would automatically detract me from buying that particular machine. The thumb cylinder is freakin' tiny, but that's not a Case issue. I'd like to see an HPF link thumb on that mini, the CX50 looks like it would be a pretty capable machine.

The machine that really caught my eye was the 650K, everything else just seemed a little old hat. I suppose I'd probably buy a used Case excavator, but for new a new excavator Case doesn't bring much to the fit and finish table. You could spend another $20K and get a Deere

There, I did it, I went and looked at some Case iron. To be completely honest, I wasn't blown away by anything I saw. I can go get in a new Cat excavator that has the same cab as the one we had and think to myself "wow, I still love these interiors". I did want to look at a new M series backhoe, but they didn't have one. I was hoping that Case's saving grace via their backhoe line would give me a sweet taste in my mouth, but I wasn't afforded that opportunity.

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

those are nice machines.:drinkup:

9. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the pics. I wish I could get some seat time on that Case dozer. I always loved the looks of the Case dozers. Things I look for in a machine.

1. Quality in metal- Seems like they keep raising the price on equipment each year but want to cut corners on putting less metal in them. Leave the metal there.

2. reliability - a machine that has been out long enough that has a good track record on not breaking down.

3. Price - I like to pay for quality but no more than any other comparible built machine.

4. Trade in - I want a machine that is somewhat average in resell.

6. Interior - I like a nice interior but I dont have to have all the high tech stuff at least at this point. I may like the stuff more once it has proven itself in dirty conditions. I know in the farm world they have more electronic issues any more than mechanical or so Im told by the mechanics.

7. Safety - what safe features does it offer not only for me but someone that may be running it besides me.

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Case backhoes take the cake...the interior is simple, what do you need gizmos for anyway?...the more crap there is, the more crap to break and go wrong. I have my radio up in the headliner, speakers right next to my ear...vents front and rear for my heat/ A/C and my simple 4 stick controls...i can't get much happier then that. I really dislike the Deere backhoes, i hate the whole parking brake thing they have in that machine...i've run one twice and go running back to orange every time.