1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tonight 8-10-02 on Fox 10PM EST

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, Aug 10, 2002.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The National Anxiety Center
    9 Brookside Road, Maplewood, NJ 07040 (973) 763-6392 Alan Caruba, pundit, sage, and the scourge of
    environmentalists everywhere, will be a guest on the Rita Cosby show, Fox News Channel, Saturday, August
    10th. The program is aired from 10PM to 11PM. The subject will be West Nile Fever and why the banning of DDT and
    loss of other major pesticides has needlessly been the cause of death for millions around the world and led to the
    rapid spread of WNF here in the US. Caruba's views will be opposed by some poor soul who will wish she had not
    accepted the invitation to appear with him. The show will be hosted by John Scott, sitting in for Rita.

National Anxiety Center, 9 Brookside Road, Maplewood, NJ 07040 (973) 763-6392 PS. As is frequently the case in
    TV-land, I could be cancelled at any moment.
  2. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

Pestisides have caused more health problems in this country then WNV ever will. That is what can be proved up to now. There is still much that is suspected that cannot be proved. You just have to look at the population of farm laborors to see this.

Thousands of them have already been dying over the last decades because of being exposed to chemicals. Do you really think it's all just made up? What would be the motive for that? If people can use any substance that helps produce anything more efficiently they will use it if the costs do not out weigh the benifits.

Perhaps there is too much knee-jerk reactions about chemicals being used for pestisides and herbicides. But that is because it has always been a fight to convince those who are benifiting finacially from their use that they cause harm. So like all these political issues, people choose sides and dig in. Maybe if poeple like us would act responsibly in the first place, there would be more honesty in the debates.
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with any topic is it can become an emotional generalities gabfest. It you want someone to believe something is right or wrong then you need facts. I need more information Organix than generalities. Can you give web sites,etc. where it says DDT chemicals are bad for people. I would think they are not good but I don't have any knowledge one way or the other. Need the facts you have about the topic.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote by Organix
    Pestisides have caused more health problems in this country then WNV ever will. That is what can be proved up to
    now. There is still much that is suspected that cannot be proved. You just have to look at the population of farm
    laborors to see this.

Facts are all that can be proven. Everything else is nothing.

What specific health problems are you refering to & what specific eveidence do you elude to?

I was in New York when WNV raised it's head. My warehouse was 8-10 blocks from the families home in West Harrison, just next to White Plains. The motherless children & their newly widowered father might beg to differ with you on this point. So too might the familes of the other 6 who lost their lives that year alone.

As I predicted on a syndicated radio program, there wasn't a single case of pesticide poisoning related to the broadcast treatment of Malathion over the 7.3 million people in New York City. NOT EVEN ONE! In my comments, I also offered my personal guarantee that more souls would be lost to WNV. To date 3 had been lost. 4 more were gone before the first frost.

Of the over 818 million people living in Africa, 1 million will die from Malaria this year. The majority will be children. The orimary path of infection is vector by mosquitoes. The population of Africa might enjoy the petty colateral risks that are associated with broadcast mosquito spraying. Since despite EXTREME research paid for by the liberal extereme left lobby in this country, there has never been a single conclusive study that would sugggest a significant health hazard associated with the proper use of pesticides. So while pesticides do carry a risk, the benefits far outweigh those risks.

Some REAL facts that I CAN prove with documentation:

-In 1999 there were 7 cases of WNV that resulted in death. All in New York.
    -By 2001, 9 states had confirm cases of WNV to humans.
    -By 2001 26 states had detected WVN in birds.
    -In 2001 56 cases of WNV & 7 deaths confirmed.
    -This year, up to now, 6 states have reported 135 confirmed cases of WNV. CDC media relations 8-9-02 3:30pm EST
    -Fewer than 1% of the people who get WNV ever find out they had it.
    -The CDC suspects that all states east of the Rockies have WNV present at this time.
    -About 3 million people worldwide die every year from diseases that are vectored by mosquitoes.
    -In California, in 2000, there were 35 suspected & confirmed case of pesticide poisoning related to children aged ten or younger. None were fatal.
    -Between 1989-1997, 42 cases of flea treatment related pesticide cases were recorded in the US. 8 of these involved eye damage caused by splashing related to inert agents, mainly emulsifiers. 8 were systemic to the active ingredient. None were fatal. None involved permanant disability.

My references in this case:

I'm out of time for now but will gladly debate this subject here in public. I will state facts as clearly as I can. I will list references. Please do the same for me. I know for a fact that there have been pesticide related harms done to individuals. Harms are done to people everyday. I got tail-ended in my truck just last week.
    But please, if alegations are made, provide links to verifiable references so we can all decide for ourselves.

Out of time for now. Let's keep this going though.

5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

BRAVO tremor! BRAVO
  6. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

Tremor your my hero!
    I wish I had the ability to articulate this arguement so intelligently.
  7. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Round one goes to Tremor

You have to weigh the benefits to the risks in every thing in life. You can't ban pesticides just because there is a little risk. Without them our lives would not be nearly as good or maybe even not at all. But everything we do changes the world some how. WE are nature too!!!

Keep the dialogue going.
  8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

WAY TO GO Tremor. I'm exhausted from reading your post.

Now I'm waiting from Organix.
  9. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

You will probably be waiting a while!:blob3:
  10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

This is kind of like the gun argument. I am a full time exterminator and have been for several years. I've serviced residential, commercial, institutional and have seen the effects of pests. We need every single control measure available. I don't mind regulations when it comes to this. As a matter of fact, I prefer them. The problem is, too many applicators are not supervised. Chlordane is a perfect example of how science worked for us. Chlordane is a persistant pesticide. What that means is, it doesn't break down for a long time. That could be under the foundation of a house for termites (about 35 years of protection), or it could get into a water supply with the same results. I know it's a dirty word but REGULATION is the answer to the pesticide problem. I was at a seminar years ago when WNV came up in NY. Dr. Austin Frischman(spell?) spoke about the consequences of the banning of aerial spraying for the vector for WNV. It was scary then and everything he said is coming true.