1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tons of weeds, wants a great lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AA961JESTER, Apr 19, 2002.

1. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER LawnSite Member

I am doing an estimate for a potential new client and need your assistance. This customer has not put any money into the lawn since moving in 5 years ago. The lawn has numerous bare spots and is infested with dandelions, chick weed, and some clover. The lawn needs thatching and aerating. I am looking to sub contract the weed control but how do I handle the needed seeding. Wont the chems kill the new seed. Homeowner wants a golf course next month. What would you guys use for the weed control? How would you proceede??
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it's that thick with weeds, just wait until after it's been sprayed and then do your seed work. Shop around though, and find someone who is not using or can do it withOUT using something like Dimension, that has a Pre M in it as well. As long as they are spraying a post M, you should be fine. Granted, this isn't the best time to do seed, but in desperate times (like bare ground) this is the best time.
  3. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Considering what you have described, I find it next to impossible to improve a lawn that has not been taken care of for five years into a golf course in one month. Just my 2 cents please do not take offense, but I just think that if you promise that to a customer, you are setting yourself up for a fall.
  4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

if he wants a golf course in a month, you'd better nuke the whole lawn and put in sod... seed takes usually 3 weeks before the first mow...
  5. I would till up the yard instead of weed control. Then I would rake out everything out. Fertilze and seed it then roll it. Seed it with a annual rye right now and if your lucky within 3 to 5 day it will germinate. Should be able to cut it within 2 weeks. Then overseed it in the fall with your prefered grass, But never gurantee seed work this time of year Hope this helps
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

All of the above is good advise. I must ask do you have any experiance doing this type of work? If no then I would suggest subbing out the job and working with someone who knows how to do the job. I'm not sure you can take advise from a board and establish a nice lawn the customer desires from a problem lawn such as you describe.

If the lawn is all weeds are you sure it needs thatching? A few questions...

What are the soil conditions?

What grass are you wishing to establish?

Is there irrigation?

What is the budget?

What equipment do you have to do this type of job?

How big is the property?

Sod is the best fix to have a nice lawn in a day but is hard labor and big $$$.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oops! I missed the part about the wanting a golf course next month. Let's be real, it isn't happening. Tell your client to look up a good housemover, then find a lot on a golf course somewhere. This is about the only way THIS will happen.
  8. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

Cool season? if so... Do soil test first then..................

1. mow short as you can.

2. rake and remove weeds as much as you can.

3. apply drive 75 chemcial "selective"

4. add topsoil if need

5. spike as much as u can....

6. add rye for now with transition blend and 18-24-12 starter

7. water daily

8. in Sept., spike and overseed, 18-24-12 starter

9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the homeowner knows that the "golf course lawn" will
    have to wait til fall.
    As pointed out by the other guys, we don't have enough info for detailed instructions.
    If there is a thatch build up you will never reestablish a lawn without removing it.
    I suggest:
    KIll off weeds, Use a licenced subcontractor.
    THen evaluate what is left.
    Ideally you can seed bare areas temporarily, with P. Rye
    Come mid- August, Kill off everything with roundup.
    Slice seed or till and sod.
    You must make sure of what the owner is exspecting.With a neglected property, unrealalistic owner exspectations, drought conditions, wrong time of year, lack of experience, If you do this one you are going to get an education!

Good luck,
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

He didn't let it get this way overnight, so he should want it fixed overnight. Why is it everybody wants perfection overnight without understanding it didn't get in bad shape overnight? Oh well, kill it and sod it.