1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Too bag Or not to bag"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Apr 22, 2003.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Let me run a quick scenario by you guys. On my first mow of the year for a particular customer the grass was so high tha it was getting all klumpped up and leaving rows of cut grass. Now I don't have a bagging system or muching kit on my Yazoo Mini-max 42" Z so when I talked to the customer I told them that I would have to charge another $30 for the grass (and leaves) cleanup ( I used my TORO leaf VAC and it took me an hour) . Now I'm not sure but you guys who bag the grass do you charge extra to bag? I didn' have to dispose of the clippings either just had to bag 'em, so keep that in mind. Oh, and one more question. SHould I start bagging or just get the mulching kit for my Z?:D :blob2: :angel:
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Double blades in one pass. The area here is tall and thick with dog doo-doo.

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

That was discharging with gator blades on top of medium lifts! Using a 52" 14hp hydro mower at about 3mph or so the first pass then a quick pass over it at 4mph and it looks like a carpet!

After double cut (still had to do the corner there):

4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Looks nice. What do you think though, mulching kit for my Z or blades or what?
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch everything, always. If get a lot of clumps then rise up the blades and go over the area again quickly to disperse the clippings or take the BP blower to the lawn. Everyone will tell you bagging will cost extra, as you have to dump the clippings.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We basically never bag or collect grass. On those rare occasions we do, I charge an arm and a leg for it. I wouldn't spend any money on a "mulching kit". If your mower isn't dispersing the clippings well, try double blades (with for example Gator blades), and / or double cut. If you have to, use a backpack blower to break up any grass clumps.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Side discharge, and if need be raise the deck an inch and make a second pass. usually that's all you need to do, and way quicker than fooling around hauling clippings. As noted above, some people have good luck with double blades, but I don't use them personally. A mulch kit under the conditions you described would only make the situation worse with more clumps.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

why even raise the deck? I leave it the same (always have) for the double cut because if you have any stragglers it will catch them, just improves the cut quality alittle IMO. I'd just leave it the same, thats the way I've always done it and always will, although I have heard to raise the deck an inch for the first or second pass, I don't see why.
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im pretty lucky I guess. I either side discharge or bag. The places I bag I have access to either a compost pile or a dumpster, so I dont charge extra. I can usually collect a half acre lot with only two dumps of the bag.

FYI- I run high lift mulchers all year and either side discharge or bag it.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

BHB---I've done it both ways and lifting the deck is better for a really clumped up yardbecause it pulls up fewer clippings and keeps you from needing a third pass.

Of course double cutting is a thing of the past for me ever since the turf tiger with 61in advantage deck. No doubles required.:D