Too big of a trailer for a newb?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buffalonick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. buffalonick

buffalonick LawnSite Member

Il be brand new in spring 2010 and have been looking for a nice trailer. I was looking into getting a 10 or 12 foot maybe even a 14 foot trailer but i just found a flat bed trailer with pressure treated floors that has no sides or ramp. It is a 16 foot trailer that is single axel. The guy used it for his atvs. He is only asking $200 for it. I figure i can buy it and add the sides and a ramp and not spend too much money. Any help on building the sides please look here:
    My real question is is a 16 foot to big. I just cant see myself filling that trailer up. I will be running 2 stihl trimmers, one kombi with attachments, a backpack blower, and a handheld, a walkbehind mower and a small push mower. I will also prob add a tool box to the trailer. Too big? what are your thoughts?
  2. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

Post pictures of the trailer. Cheap isn't always the way to go. I think a 14' tandem would be perfect for you. IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. buffalonick

buffalonick LawnSite Member

4. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

From your description commercialy manufactured trailers 14' and longer have tandem axles. I personally would watchout for this one, as I don't think it is what you are looking for. As nnj18 said "Cheap isn't always the way to go". In answer to your question NO a 16' is not too big. I don't think you can have a trailer too big.
  5. Popslawncare

Popslawncare LawnSite Member

I agree with abouve, I run a 18 foot open and a 20 enclosed both are tandems. They really fill up too fast and wish sometime's they would be bigger!
  6. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I got a 14 and its a single axle. Got it for 1,500 and I love it! I wouldn't purchase a 16 single if I were you.
  7. TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57 LawnSite Member

You can get 14' as either single or tandem axle. Anything above 14' is tandem from what I am told. Below 14'.. you can order tandem for shorter but most are likely single.

I have one 14' single axle commercially manufactured.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely that utility trailer used to be a popup camper. The bed on that trailer is probably only 13 feet or less. When RV trailers are measured they measure the whole trailer, tongue and rear bumper included. With utility trailers they only measure the bed where-as a 16 foot utility trailer is actually 19+ foot long.
  9. kj330

kj330 LawnSite Member

16 single now way. more problems than its worth
  10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

16 foot is a great trailer size, especially in your first couple years. That size allows you to grow into it so you don't have to upgrade so quickly. However, I wouldn't even consider that trailer since it is only a single axle, you could overload it way too easy. I'd pass on this trailer and just keep your eyes open for others, there is plenty of time.