Too big Too Fast!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yanks1, Jul 5, 2010.

1. yanks1

yanks1 LawnSite Member
    from vermont

Hello everyone , I am new to this forum....and to the lawn care bussiness all together. I have been reading the posts for some time , and I must say they are both informative and entertaining! I thank you all for that.

Now for some background. I am 50yrs YOUNG, I have a fulltime job in the semi-conductor mfg area that I have been at for 25yrs. For the past 2yrs I have been helping a retired friend with his lawn care endevor. My plan is to start my own within 2 yrs. I have purchased some used equiptment:

48" Toro commercial walk behind

2. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Welcome, but where does the too big too fast part come in?

3. yanks1

yanks1 LawnSite Member
    from vermont

Sorry about that!! Fat fingers. Because of the exposure I have picked up six accounts of my own. I already have customers asking about fall cleanups, and have had to turn down some new customers. My main concern is p-ing off my established folks by over extending. should I keep growing or sit where I am until I am ready to jump in both feet?

4. Economical_Landscaping

Economical_Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would say keep growing, get as many jobs as you can do that you feel comfortable with and also that you can keep doing a great job with.

I know thats not much help but maybe it will help.

-Travis

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Get out now,this business sucks. If you are going to stick with it, I would either try to pick up as much as you can OR stay with your current job and just do it as a part time gig for extra money. I am sure you have a retirement with your company. If you can retire young go at it then. Or try to build it up now and pay a guy well to run it for you until you retire.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like good advice to me !!

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

My firend:

I some wht diffrent that you, is Still the same.

I have set out heading for retirement, get the co. up to the point where I no longer have to work in the field.

Well with in 2 years I accomplished this goal. with in 3 it was getting out of control.
    at 4 I'm adding more trucks.

" this is a newly formed co. <--- long story. wont bore you with it.

I have growned beond expecittions, and loving it.
    Dont wait too long, noone knows what tomorrow brings

I wish you the best

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I think that playing it safe if the way to go. Just keep plugging with the 6 customers. Keep your promises to those 6 good customers. With your equipment, rakes and tarps, and a walkbehind blower, you can do fall cleanups solo.

When new people ask for service, tell them your story, and that you have limited time since you are still working full time. Just be direct. Tell them you will put them on a waiting list for fall cleanups, but if they can line up someone else, no hard feelings. I do this full time, but I do that now for the random jerks that call late in November looking for a cleanup. If I get enough waitlisters, I hire additional help, and we knock them out quick. It is easy to find a couple of guys looking or a days work right now.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Some may disagree, but you can always subcontract jobs out to your friend, or another local company. Keep a percentage for yourself and while you won't keep every subbed out client, when you have more time or help yourself, you'll have the customers there.

There really isn't such a thing as too big, too fast, or too small, or whatever. It all comes down to planning really.

10. yanks1

yanks1 LawnSite Member
    from vermont

Thanks for the great advise! I know it seems as though this is a non problem, but I want to stay on course. I do have a pension (not great) but I also have a young wife who likes "things". I am what some would call high energy, and I have a tendancy to take on more than I should. I think I will stay with the mind set of getting better and faster with my established customers then add as time allows. Thankyou all!!!:usflag: