1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too big

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Sep 20, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am starting to think my snapper hydro pro 48" is too big. Does anybody else run 48" walk-behinds? The only reason I bought the 48 was because I got a good deal on it. I really wanted a 36". What is the good 36" these days. Can a 15 hp pull a 145lbs guy on a proslide quickly and easily? I sometimes wonder about my 17hp going up hills. Thanks for your time guys.
  2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

No such thing as too big!
    I think 15 is too small for a 48 w/ proslide, probably even 17 hp.
    We use 52 and 60 walkbehinds w/ 23-25 hps.
    Average yard size only 5000 ft sq
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've been running a 48 WB since day 1. I use it on all but 1 of my accounts which range from about 4k to 35k sq ft. Would never think of going smaller, but maybe bigger. The only possible issue I would think is if you have alot of gated yards the 48 can't fit into.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What size yards do u have. Why do u beleive 48 is too big (blowing grass everywhere, scalping contoured ares, wont fit in cramped areas, ect)?
  5. PLM-1

Gates #1 I can get it through a 36" gate with A LOT of movement back and forth barely.

Some of my accounts have very small pensulas of grass with mulch and/or white lava rocks on both sides. Some have these "everything sticks to them" nasty white vinyl fences.

And the 17 hp seems a little low...more power is always nice.
  6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Joplin, I just noticed u have a 61". Having a larger mower for open areas, I can see where a 36 would be benifitial for productivity in gated areas and certain other areas. I HAVE SEVERAL LARGE MOWERS AND STILL RELY HEAVILY ON MY 36 FOR SUCH OCCASIONS. Oops I hit my caps
  7. PLM-1

ya...after i bought it as i was loading it up i was like..."wait i have a 61"...is too close to the same size. the next step down is a 21"...
  8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Each residential crew has a 36" mower for fenced areas and a push mower for really tight areas. 48" mower w/ big engine and a mulching kit is good for tight areas. But overall we like to run BIG 52's and 60's
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Was a time many moons ago we had 12 hp and 14 hp on 48" mowers and they both pulled me around and back then I weighed atleast 150. I have a 15 hp now and I weigh 170 and it pulls me just fine in fact it pulls one of my men and he weighs 220.
  10. YardMeister

YardMeister LawnSite Member

I have one walkbehind, a Howard Price 36 with a 15 horse Kawi. my weight is 230 pounds and the mower pulls me around on the sulky with no problems. (sorry, it's not a pro-slide).

I get around great on it, but I prefer to ride, and when I ride, I get to use the bigger machines with Kohler 25's on them. I would not get rid of the 36 though. It has a purpose that the others will not fill. My trim mower is a lawnboy, which is ok. I would not buy another lawnboy though. The next trim mower I get will be Gravely 21" commercial. They are nice, and have a Honda engine.