1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too Cheap????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndreamer, Jul 1, 2003.

1. lawndreamer

lawndreamer LawnSite Member

I trimmed about ten bushes, approx 15' tall. I removed 5 additional bushes, hauled away all the brush. Trimmed dead branches out of 4 trees, with a pruner pole an a 09 stihl saw. It took me 3 1\2 hrs. 1 hr drive time. And i'm ate up with poison Ivy. I did the Job for 175.00 is that to cheap? I didn't have any help to pay.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You must feel that you did it too cheap, or you wouldn't be posting about it. Its on the low side, but it sounded like a real PITA, and now your covered in Poison Ivy (didn't you see it?). If it was a cake job, and you took your time and didn't work too hard, $38 isn't too awful shabby if your solo.

Bottom line, yes its way too cheap for my area for tree work. They're often close to $200/hr around here.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is rock bottom pricing for my area but only you can decide if this will cover expenses and make a profit for you. I would have charged a lot more with the poison ivy!

4. Are you looking for a job?:D

I'll vouch for this stuff, and like you it's really inexpensive.

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been getting closer to $250 for that type/amount of work.
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

How did you get rid of the debris? Did you have to pay?

I charge $35 per man hour + $50 per trailer load of debris, so I would be right close to what you charged. (3.5x $35=122.50 + $50 = $172.50). I wouldn't drive an hour to do a job. I generally don't have to drive more than 15 minutes one-way. Costs me $25 to dump a trailer load at dump.

I think that is VERY REASONABLE, but I still get alot of people that want to shop it until they find someone to do it for $10 an hour. Can't do anything about those people but shake my head and walk away.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

let them find those that offer $10 an hour for service because all they are going to get is a $10 an hour effort. Sell more quality, not price to the customers.
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

While that may be a quite bit on the low side, you have to look at it as,
    #1 Will this be a repeat job?
    #2 Did I learn anything from this job as far as time to complete vs price?
    #3 Did it take up the time you had set aside for more profitable jobs?
    Regardless, it's still money for your business.