1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too cold for new grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mowtown Mike, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I have to do a new lawn install. Is it to late in the year for new grass to be established or not. It is going to start to have frost warnings and night. I plan on doing the job next week. Should I put hay/straw on top, most of the birds have migrated already? Would hyrdoseed be a better option? I am trying to keep the cost low. Thanks for your help. Mike
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If yu are starting to have frost warnings, then yes...it is too late.
  3. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

Will the new grass seed still come up in the spring or am I wasting my money?
  4. VT_K9

VT_K9 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I live in central eastern VT and just had my lawn hydroseeded last Mon. I was told by the company they normally do not hydroseed beyond Oct, but will with no promises it will take. They told me they have never been called back. They have been in business for over 10 years. I also put down a combination of Rye and Bluegrass. I am expecting the rye to just poke up and the bluegrass to come back next spring. This is the first time I have planted this late.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,...See, wat happens, is this. It all comes down to the end result of what you're going to hav left. Late smmer - Early fall, when it just starts to cool down..The seed germinates, the grass grows, and has enough ime to harden off and withstand the frost and the freeze of winter. As it gets later, the grass germinates, but as we get those cold nghs and frosts, it kills the new seedings as they germinate and grow. You end up with much less grass in the spring. Now, if you WIT a little while longer, you will have a dormant seeding condition. The ground, after it has a consistent temperature of below 50 to 55 degrees, the seed won't germinate. he seed is then safe. As the temps warm up in the sprin, and the soil temps reach the germination temps, the grass will then grow. The benefit of doing this, is that if the ground conditions are really wet in the spring, to the point that you would normally not be able to get on it or work it, your seed i already in place.
    Th downfall of course, is the same as doing seeding in thespring. You are then competing with many weed seeds that will be germinating in the bare soil at this time.