1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Too Damn Hot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, May 25, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

That is it guys, I tried to start my business using only my Quick 36(which is a great mower by the way) but the last couple of days have been 98 degrees with humidity in the 90's, and I took a pretty bad beating both using it as a wb and using the stepsaver and it is only going to get hotter. I am up to 15 accts and climbing but I think that the lack of a helper plus the Louisiana heat and humidity plus the fact that every afternoon it will rain like clock work has lead my to think that mybe now is the time to suck it up and buy a 46" to 48" ztr so that I can run more efficent, and keep my Quick for gated backyards and a backup mower. I plan on being in business for many years to come plus I plan on paying for the mower cash so I don't think this is a bad business decision.....can any of you guys relate???
  2. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

well i can relate here in northwest arkansas lately its been around 92 for several days and humidty in the 80's and 90's with rain early in the morning and sun late morning to early evening so its pretty warm which is weird because normally its in the low 80's but yeah only to get worse, summer here is in the 100's with 70% to 80% humidity but the only thing i have to say is its rough at first but youll get use to it
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW :

I was wondering if you are NEW to that area ?

or just have been living under a rock ?

belive it or NOT it gets hot there and here too,

however I really havent seen it get hot yet, or for that matter it really hasnt been hot for the last 10 years....

pls tell me what do you do when it does get hot ?

turn tail and run ?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe you need a physical...15 lawns total and you're sucking wind???
  5. Big C

I have been living is Louisiana all my life and am used to the heat....the point I was trying to make is....would you rather mow in 95 degree heat using a ztr or wb and being forced to take minimal breaks because in several hours it will storm??????....I mow on my days off from my fulltime job so time management is very important.....and not to mention the way I see it I can invest $7000 in a good ztr that willl minimize my time in the heat or my wife will be spending that $7000 in funeral expenses after I die of heat stroke, trying to be macho.
  6. Big C

Northern Virginia....huh.....you can't even begin to understand where I am coming from...it's about working smarter not harder.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It gets plenty hot and humid up here too Big C...
  8. Big C

oh i don't doubt it...It is just something about the deep south humidity that makes you want to puke......good luck this summer
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Big C...

yes it does get warm, most of us know that. In fact I remember in 1980 there were 30 plus days over 115 here.

and yes I was cutting grass then..
    as far as getting used to it. there is
    NO such thing. the human body cant take to much heat. " that's jsut the way God made us" you tolarate it, Not get used to it.

however. I wanted to say I'm sorry for my short talk to ya. but think about rutting before you slap 5 to 7 large on something that may or may NOT help ya....

today I added another exmark to the fleet. kind of for the fact that your speeking.
    what this machine will do is speed up my crew about 1.5 days.... were making about 6 to 7 hundred a day. with another day freed up this machine will pay for it self in about 3 months....

Good luck
  10. Big C

I apperciate your input...the heat/weather factor is just part of the reason for wanting to add a ztr. Though i only have 15 accts my busines is growing faster than I thought and 15 acct is the most I will do solo/parttime with a WB which is costing me $$$$, I would much rather spend the money now while I can pay cash for a mower. Plus I get alot of calls for properties the are in the 2-3 acre range and there is no way I could cut those on a regular basis with a 36" WB.