Too Dry To Aerate!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Sep 2, 2007.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have a fair amount of aerations on the board but its too dry right now. This was our second dryest august on record. We are just going to have to wait until we get some serious rain to aerate.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya. The only time we aerate this early is in conjunction with seeding Kentucky bluegrass when core depths make no difference, cuz we're just trying to prepare the seedbed.

We try to aerate our irrigated lawns first (October) so the customers can mark their sprinkler heads before sprinkler companies winterize them, but the bulk of our aerations are done in late October through early December.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Not doing any aerations either until we get some soil moisture.
    Glad I did several in the early spring as always.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yea, I hate dry weather! I got a big aeration contract last week (60 houses in 1 neighborhood) and they wanted it done asap along with seeding. now it supposed to be mid 90s by Wed. and the ground is really drying out fast after about 4in of rain last week. Oh well, I guess it gives me more time to think about buying a Zplugger!

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't be long before rainfall patterns return to normal and you'll be up to your necks with aeration jobs. :)

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

it doesn't take many lawns before I remember how much I hate aeration!

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

It always seems like it'll be so much fun when you're selling the jobs, LOL.

8. lawn king

Nothing in the forecast here for this week! Man this is a serious situation. This is as dry as i have ever seen it, and i have been in lawn care longer that some of you have been alive! I serviced a small cemetery account saturday & i could see that part of it had actually caught fire! Not good lawn dudes.

9. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is too dry I usually tell the customer to water the hell out of the lawn the day before to get the best cores pulled...

10. lawn king

Widespread watering bans here, no can do?