Too early for Pre-Emergent in NC?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MudslinginFX4, Jan 25, 2006.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, we've been out and about working a lot lately and I keep seeing TG/CL and other guys out with their sprayers and spreaders on their trucks. I was able to read on several doorhanger bags that they are already putting out pre-emergents. Is it too early for this? I typically don't start mine until mid-february and do a second application later. Can I do the first application this early with good results or am I better to wait? I'm talking fescue grass here in central NC.

2. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

if they are using barricade it could have went out in november! With the amount of customers they have they have to start early to get them done.
    Barricade will not breakdown until the microbial activity increases which happens after the soil warms to above 55

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said. As long as you get your preemergent out before the soil temps warm up, everything will be fine.

4. MudslinginFX4

Growin, I'm not sure what they are using, but with our warm temps lately do you not think the soil is at 55? I also understand about the number of customers they have, this is what I was thinking about them starting so early. What are you using? Last year I was using Dimension and I think I am going to stick with it again.

5. MudslinginFX4

ok, thanks for the help guys. What about the 2nd application? Most of the times the ground temp is a little warmer by march or april (weather depending). One of the reasons I was using Dimension (besides it not staining) is that is supposely has a little more of a post emergent with it? is this right?

6. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

they are using barricade 4l. Go to www.turffiles.ncsu.edu and do some research on barricade vs dimension. If you are spraying there is a huge gap because of dimensions volitization problems as well as new grass. Our soil temps today are in the mid 40s now. Don't get confused between air and soil! I find usually a 10-13 degree difference. Fred Yelverton says the cutoff for Raleigh is March 15.

7. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

Mudslinginf+4 soil temps in charlotte have been hangin around 48-49 for the last month. Every once and a while they jump up to 52. When we have a couple of those 70 degree days.

8. MudslinginFX4

Thanks Growin! To also be honest with you I was subbing my stuff out last year all but about 15 yards. I took those 15 yards and played around with them for a while and had good results! This year will be the real thing for me, I'll be doing somewhere around 90-110 of my accounts fertilizing so I may have a few more questions. Yes, im licensed etc... just never have had the time to actually research and learn about the techniques until this winter some!

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with doing Barricade first and then doing Dimension the second app. Even though Dimension is supposed to have some post capability on crabgrass, I personally don't think it is worth the extra cost.

10. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Here's some numbers for everybody:

For Crabgrass to germinate, the temperature of the soil at a 2" depth must be at 55 degrees or greater for at least 5 consecutive days. So don't worry too much about a couple passing warm days. A day or two won't do it for crabgrass.