Too early for Pre-M????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by steve in Pa., Mar 6, 2006.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Saw a local competitor putting down pre-m today, seems a little early for central Pa. Ground temp cant be close to warm enough. Whats everybody else think?????:confused:

2. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I'm in South eastern PA and think it is too early. I see some big companies out probably because the have a lot of customers to get done. I hope they are doing split apps! :confused:
    Next week we will start seeing some warming temps then maybe we will think about doing some apps. :clapping:
    good luck!

3. Koster Landscape

Koster Landscape LawnSite Member

There is nothing wrong with getting a early start,you'll be ahead of the game.

4. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

I would have to disagree with you on that. What happens in the ground temp. doesn't get up to 50-55 before your pre-m dissolve. Can you say hello to break thru. There goes your profit. You'll be back spraying some drive to kill the post emergent crabgrass and that isn't cheap.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ideally you want your products window of protection to last through your PEAK crabgrass germination/growth stages.

IMO, right now is just too early.

In this area, the forsythia plant is usually a good indicator of when to apply pre-emergents.

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, what he said. Ground temps here are still in the 30 - 32 degree range. To early for me, I take the ground temp. every other day and it has not changed very significantly here for the past two weeks. I'm hoping between the 15th and 20th we will start apps. but will see what the soil tells me.

7. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Then again its the same company i've seen out spraying broadleaf with a very good chance of showers and thunderstorms!!!!:drinkup: :drinkup: :confused: so i guess this shouldn't be surprizing.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You folks worried about rain breaking down your preemergent before the weed germination time comes? I wouldn't be concerned because microbes are the primary cause of preemergent breakdown.

When the soil temps are cold, you have little to no microbial activity. If you put it out when soil temps are 40, it will be in place for you when the temps hit 55.

The longer the half-life of the product, the less it breaks down on its own. This is why I like Barricade with a half life of nearly 200 days. It has the longest half-life of the commonly used preemergents.

9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Crabgrass doesnt germinate till the end of April. I'd say they were a lot ambitious.

Who was it? TGCL?

10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Barricade boasts a 200 day half life on the ground?

For real?

Thats 7 months.