Too early to start?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulMoody, Feb 25, 2003.

1. PaulMoody

PaulMoody LawnSite Member

I was wondering how early in the year some of you start aerating and power raking? I am getting calls from customers wanting me to start when possible. It is still freezing every night and the grass is still dormat. I just don't want to damage lawns by starting too early. Should I be waiting for some green grass to sprout?:blob3:

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Yes it is to early, You should only aerate a lawn when it is actively growing.

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Preferably, you should aerate in the fall and then dethatch in the spring, while the turf is growing.

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda likes aeration when it's starting to grow.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

truth is bud its never too early to do somerthing that will enhance your properties. to me this is the golden time.
    u do the rite things now,and u show who the real pro is.
    your lawns will show it later.good luck.

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Well some times it is too early. If you want to enhance the lawn you should do the things at the right time.
    Aeration this time of year just Dosn't make sense. I'm not familiar with WA climate, but dethatching should be coming up really soon. ;)

7. Let the grass grwo for 2 wks
    (meaning it has been mowed twice because it needed it)

Then do aeration and dethatching.

Also aeration in the fall

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you grass is still dormant, do not aerate. Your hole will be filled back in before the grass starts to grow.

MATT

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would wait until the grass is actively growing again in the spring before I would aerate.

Gravely_Man