too early?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by C.T. Lawn Care, Jan 31, 2005.

1. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few 10-12 foot tall bushes that i need to take down to about 3 feet so that people can see around them at an icecream shop. I was wondering if this is too early to cut thoes down. I have had people tell me that it is not just as long as i get them before they start to bud. i would like to do it later this week because it is supposed to be 45ish degrees. So is it too early?
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Without the type bushes known
    It would be hard to give advice.Can you describe them?
  3. C.T. Lawn Care

here are some pics of the three bushes

4. C.T. Lawn Care

the first pic is an upclose pic of the 1st and 3rd bush and the 2nd pic is a pic of the 2nd bush

5. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Nor sure from the pics what they are, but they seem to be decidious, and dormant. Cut em.
  6. C.T. Lawn Care

all right, thats what i was thinking. Thanks guys
  7. carbon737

carbon737 LawnSite Member

if you are anything into selling landscape I would refer to tear out and plant something that doesn't grow as large. Being the front entrance to a business you wish not to create any obstructions of the business. Cutting the bushes down to 3 ft or so is good but they will eventually be back in the same situation. If you plan on keeping the account for a while like i said tear out and plant something else.
  8. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Not if you keep them trimmed regularly
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't tell what the second bush is, but the first and third appear to be forsythia's. If you do any major pruning on them right now, they WILL NOT bloom very well this spring. The flower buds are already set, and if they haven't frozen this winter (which is possible, we had that really cold snap around Christmas), they should put on a good show for about 3-4 days in late March or early April. I say hack away.:D Tear 'em out if you want. I hate those d*mn things!

I don't know what the second bush is. I hardly ever pay any attention to plantings when I'm on 36 in that area, I'm usually more concerned with traffic at that point.:) That's right behind the school, right? Don't remember the last time I was down 267 at that point...

It kinda looks like it could be a rose-of-sharon, but I'm not sure. You should be fine to prune those now, they bloom on new wood later in the summer. If you had a shot of that bush about halfway between the two shots that you posted, I might have better luck with an ID.

When you get done pruning these, quit using the shears on them. Hand pruning is best for any plant, it's much easier to avoid a dense outer layer that way. You will find that it will be hard to cut stems back to branches, so you'll have to guess where the buds/nodes are, and hope for the best.

The ideal way to do it would be to thin them out over a period of 3 years or so, but you obviously don't have that kind of time with these.