too expensive????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dcgreenspro, Oct 3, 2006.

1. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Priced out a job today that was 15,000 sq. ft. All rock, NO soil. Needed rocks removed, 3-4 in topsoil brought in and sodded. I am only a solo op and i think this is were it hurts me. I priced it out around 15K w/ half going to an outside company to blow in the soil. Was i even close to a larger company's bid? i know they will be cheaper, i am just wondering how much?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You weren't too expensive that much I'll say. That's between 135-185 cubic yards of topsoil alone if my brain is functioning properly..........And that's a lot of stone to remove as well.

3. dcgreenspro

from PA

yeah, ton of soil w/ is why i subed it out.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think your to low because of the removal of the rock factor. It can be a heck of alot more work than it looks like.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm looking at close to 7000 just for the cost of decent topsoil.

6. dcgreenspro

from PA

that was subbed out too.lots of small rocks andpebbles. they said they would handle it. rock didn't need to be hauled away. owners would use for landscaping.

7. dcgreenspro

from PA

yeah, thats what i came up with too. they were going to run a preperator before and et all they could.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think your way low.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

So if you don't mind if I ask...how much are you paying your sub's or sub to remove the rock and blow the soil on?
    Are they delivering the soil as well?
    By the time you pay for the soil, pay your subs,
    I just don't see how your making much profit at all for yourself here.

10. dcgreenspro

from PA

i figured i could remove the rock at worst in a day. It is a new development, year old, and broke the rest down like this:
    Soil preperator: 500.00 Two days max
    Soil: 6600.00 Blown in
    Labor: 1000.00 This is a very high number, have to see how many friends want to lay sod
    Skid Steer: 500.00 Two days max
    Sod: 4500.00
    Profit: 2500.00

15,400 w/ out tax. I thought my numbers were pretty good here. what do you guys think?