Too Fast?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn guy, Aug 16, 2007.

1. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

I had a customer change service because she said my crew leader mowed too fast. I asked her if there was a problem with the quality of the job, she said no, you just mow too fast. Am I missing something here?:confused:

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Takes all kinds, doesn't it? You should have asked her if she would have preferred you worked slower, and done a crappy job. :)

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ive had some of those customers. Its a chore trying to educate them on the fact that I run a lawn BUSINESS...Im not little Johnny down the street pushing his murray mower to the neighbors.
    Let them know you have to be fast/effecient in order to keep your prices competitive.

4. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

today I timed 2 lawns next to each other ( most of all our lawns are the same size), we mowed both in 9 minutes total, 2 guys plus me... I do get alot of people when they hire me telling me the last guy only spends 10 minutes on there lawn and they seem to not like that much but thats all there getting from me

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I got 4 new accounts because the guy mowed too fast. He did a crap job though. Ill take em

6. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I have, older customers who are of the mind, they pay you x amount of dollars, you and your helpers should take X amount of time. I't's terrible to pay the 30$ for the 8 to 10 minutes it takes to knock their lawn out.
    Somebody else stated it perfectly, this is a business, one you must provide quality work, while being as fast and efficient as possible. They don't much like hearing about the thousands we spent on those nice shiny machines to accomplish that quality and speed with .

7. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

Ha!! As was commented, I agree: seems to me that a good portion of people think a 'good' job should take a long time...that by seeing the operator on their property for a long time, they're getting their money's worth. Maybe they don't like the idea of people doing well [financially] 'cutting the grass'...I seriously think that is it!!

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

My dad always tells me I mow to fast. I tell him my mower can cut it without leaving any uncut grass and my work looks good. Time=money

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is an old people thing............they remember working for $5 an hour 40 years ago. Our new policy is if you are going to be home when we mow, we aren't interested in your business. I am old and I sort understand their thinking.

10. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I tell all my customers that complain that if they spent $8,000 on a lawn mower they could mow fast too!