Too Funny!! LCO vs. Grass Cutter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Oct 15, 2004.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'll keep it short but it is funny, at least to me because I think it shows the difference in a TRUE LCO and someone just cutting grass.

Okay, yesterday it had rained and I was ahead anyway because I cut more on Monday than I normally do so I didn't start cutting until 2PM. I get to my last customer late in the day and at the house right next door there is this 20 something year old cutting that lawn. Now I don't call folks "scrubs" because EVERYBODY started somewhere. BUT this kid and I say that only because I'm much older is already half way through cutting this lawn. He is using the oldest (at least 10-15 years old and had what looked like a 3.5HP engine) most rusted Snapper 21" push mower that I have ever, ever seen, I personally wouldn't have paid $5 for it at a yard sale it was so bad. The lawn is less than half the size (1/4 acre) of my customers (3/4 acre) and mine has 240' of wooden fence and his has no fence, and the reason I know the size is because I measured it as I quoted them also after I started my customers and they saw my work and my customer telling them how great I was. Well, I pull my truck and trailer up behind his Ford Explorer (he opens the back window and his push mower sticks out the window). I take my time because it' so nice outside. I drop the gate put on my Peltor Headset to listen to some talk radio while I cut, fire up the ZTR pull off the trailer and head the to back yard (I always cut the backyards first) and I am cutting away. Every once in a while I look up and see the kid pushing away. Anyway I finish my entire yard, trim the entire fence and edge all the concrete and am blowing everything off and I look up and the kid is just now finishing his cutting only. I noticed that when I was edging that he was watching me. Because I had stick edged the week before I was really only shaping it up with one of my Redmax trimmers this week and of course was walking very fast doing it as we all probably do. So I pack everything up and decide to get in the truck and just watch the kid for a minute. He goes over and opens the window and gets his Craftsman Hand Held blower out and his Weedeater brand curved shaft trimmer out. You can tell that this lawn has not really been edged before as it should be. SO I watch and I guess he had tried to take a lesson from me and turned tha curved shaft upside down to edge and MAN was it funny. He was trying to edge and he was going in every S direction you can think of and trimmer line was flying! He finally turned it back over and "trimmed" at the edge inside of actually edging. I didn't stay to watch the rest!

I guess the real thing that hit me was that I did 2X the work he did in half the time mainly because I actually had the right equipment to do it. Plus I have to think that my many years of doing this helps me work Smarter, thus faster also.

Of yeah, the owner of this house, went with the kid because he was $5 cheaper than me. :p

2. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

it amazes and puzzles me to hear lco's putting down other lco's.. why not concentrate on your own work..

maybe the owner of the house got him because he does better work than you....

3. MMLawn

YOU missed the WHOLE point then. Because a kid riding around with a 20 year old rusted mower and homeowner blower & trimmer, with NO Business License, NO Insurance ISN'T and LCO...he is as I said a GRASS CUTTER and there is s huge difference my friend.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

MMLawn - Do you know he had no insurance or are you guessing - Do you realize that you think you are efficient because he has a rusted pusher. I bet I could make your equipment look like dinasoures.

5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Scott are you missing something? Didn't MM just refer to the crummy edging the boy was doing next door? Etc?

The young man next door is cheaper because he doesn't know any better, and we all have to compete with these guys. It hurts our bottom line because we will often have to "adjust" our pricing to stay competitive. And we have to stay "competitive" with these idiots doing inferior work, because of idiot customers who are incapable of recognizing the difference between good and poor work.

And this my friend, is not "putting down" other lco's, it is recognizing some of the realities of this business.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

First let me say i am above nobody, when i started i drove a ford ranger 600 bucks,murray rider, trimmer i can not remember was not much.My trailer was homemade,junk but i was determend to make it.

7. MMLawn

I don't know what the F$#% your deal is FLEX-DECK as you have tried to slam me in my last 2 post and I let the first one slide. I don't even know you, never talked to you but I can assure your sorry @SS that I could care less about you, what you have "invented" and your WONDERFUL homemade wide area mower on your John Deere tractor or that you are stupid enough to cut grass for $17 an acre and I've been in business twice your 13 years!

Let's see...he had a rusted 20 year old push mower, $150 worth of homeowner trimmer and blower all hanging out the back window of his car....YEAH I am assuming he doesn't have Commerial Liability Insurance jack@ss!

8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

What I noticed is that somebody with the worst equipment only has to under bid a pro by $5 and he gets the job.

9. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

mmlawn,

i think instead about worrying about "flexdeck" and other lco's you should just worry about your own business..

you seem like a very angry person,, were you picked on as a child????

10. MMLawn

If I was I whooped that @$$ :cool2: