Too Funny

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an interesting call from a customer this afternoon that really cracked me up. I'll tell you what she said in a moment.
    First... I'll give you a little background on her. This woman signed up for my program this Spring. She falls into that group of people that don't understand I won't be able to work wonders with their lawn, if they won't water their lawn, or mow their lawn properly. To illustrate, this customer let's her grass get 10" tall before cutting it. She also didn't water her lawn this year, even though we had a drought and to top that off, she has two big dogs that devastate her backyard. Even though I have all of these negative cultural issues to deal with, she still expects to have no weeds in her lawn and she expects me to make her lawn look great. :rolleyes:
    When she called me today, she said that the weeds that I recently came out and sprayed were still in her lawn. She told me that I needed to come back out and spray them again. She also complained that I missed the weeds in her flower beds. I had to remind her that the service agreement she signed, told her that I didn't treat weeds in beds as part of my program. That's a separate service I offer.
    It hasn't even been six days since I performed that blanket weed control application on her lawn (I used Cool Power). Lol... It's almost like she expected her weeds to have exploded when I sprayed them, or something.
    I explained to her that when temperatures are this cool, you won't get the kind of rapid knock-down you can get when it's warmer outside. She's one of those customers that has no problems wasting your time, but won't even return my phone calls I've given her, trying to talk to her about her lawn earlier this year. Because of her antics, I'm going to let her go at the end of this year. Where do these people come from? :laugh:

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

So....ummmm, well.....where's the funny part?

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Unfortunatly I have a couple of these also.

Probably not a bad idea to give them a TGCL business card. :laugh:

4. Victor

You're not kidding Rodney. If I had one, I'd give it to her. I'm so glad that I don't have to tolerate customers like her anymore.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think the funny parts included:
    Why would anybody in their right mind "not do their part" (mow right & water when needed), yet expect a nice lawn? Ten inch grass? :laugh: Expecting flower bed maintenance at to charge?:laugh: Dogs tearing the sh$t out of the lawn?:cool2: etc. Plus, "Cool Power" is not a cheapo herbicide that gives 'ho-hum' results.:nono: Then there's the customer (who is very concerned about her lawn) that never returns phone calls regarding this "very important part of her life".???:rolleyes:

When we run into these oddballs, we dump 'em in a New York minute. We don't wait .......... we dump 'em right away, cuz they got more probs than lawn care. :walking:

On the other hand -- she may not be an oddball. Maybe she just needs someone to properly mow her lawn because she is unable to do so? (this could also explain why she pretty much needs a personal gardener to maintain her ornamental beds??). But is she chooses not to communicate, that's her fault.

I'm sure whatever she needs can be done, but not for free (duh).:dizzy:

6. Victor

Thank you for explaining that to bohiaa for me Larry. :)

I think all those things are pretty comical.

7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We drop about 3-5 accounts per year because they refuse to listen.

I usually refer them to a competitor.

Usually it is abuse of my employees that put it over the top.

PS: A couple have literally begged to come back for service.

8. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

If she wants instant results, use Green Turf Paint a lot and mix chemicals like diquat for non-selective and quicksilver for selective so she sees the results right away and charge her out the ass. Then give her a TGCL card when she bitches about the price.

9. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

I think this is a great time to introduce her to someone who can give her results.
    Send her my way.

10. Victor

I think it's a great time to bring attention to the fact that you either haven't been in this business long enough to know much of anything about it, or you have been in this business a long time, but just never learned anything about it. Your statement tells me that one of my two assessments applies in your case. :)