Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Does this look too good to be true?

Ad in classified section:

Walker Model MC16GHS. Exc mechanical condition. $2000 firm

Now if that has a 36" deck (based off of the what seems to be "only" 16 HP engine, not the 23 or 25 that seems standard, what do you guys think of that? I know I gotta see the machine in person, but any first thoughts?

Thanks!

2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

not that fimilisr with walker but it could have up to a 48" deck, the biggest motor i have is a 14hp w/ my 36" but also have a 48" w/ a 13hp and it works great, but i could use a little more power
    AK Lawn

3. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

i put a 18hp kohler twin cylinder on 48, some of the best money i spent. I love to hear that thing scream every mourning.
    peace
    bryan

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Walker mower generally don't have the "big" engines that other mowers do. Since thier mowing speed is generally half of what everybody elses is they don't really need a large engine. Also it is fairly common to have more than one deck when you own a Walker because it is so easy and quick to change the deck on the mower.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

My first thoughts on this ad would be either this mower is old, worn out, or some body has NO clue what it is worth.
    After shopping for a used Walker the first time around, prices this cheap, usually meant the first two of the above. As far as what Richard Martin said about half the power, that may have been the case a few years ago. Mine has a 25 HP. That will turn the biggest deck they have 72" with out a problem. One reason the forward speed is lower, is that the bagging system, (the secondary blower) does take a lot of HP to run, especially in thick grass. When not bagging you can mow faster with a much bigger deck than you can a smaller deck and bag.

6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

thats a great price if it's in good shape and not stolen.....

it could have 36, 42, 48" ghs decks or 36, 42, 48, 52, 54, 56" side discharge decks.

is it a v-twin? what year? hours?

a few things to check...

make sure it will idle low with blades engaged (this tests compression, pto and gear boxes)

push against a tree or trailer and pour the power to it, it should spin the tires or at least break traction (tests hydros and wheel motors)

make sure hydro fluid is clean

if it doesn't track straight, no worry, simple adjustment.

if you have any questions or concerns, drop me a line or give me a call, i've had walkers for 14 + years.

319-470-1330

dave

7. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

What would you say if you looked up the phone number in a reverse directory and it came back as a lawn mower supply repair place? Selling a Walker for $2000? I take it that they would know the price and then as someone already mentioned it's probably beat to heck, but still runs..

Thanks guys,

Gary

8. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

could be a good deal, i bought a 96 mtghs with a 48'' bagging
    deck, 7 bussel catcher, and 20 hp kohler gas engine for $2800. the unit had 1100 hrs , the engine had 200 hrs. all it needed was new belts and a little paint. the guy i got it from was getting
    out of the business. i also got a jrco front mount dethatching attachment and echo srm 2400 trimmer for $150.