Too good to be true!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chris buck, Feb 6, 2013.

1. chris buck

chris buck LawnSite Member

Was gonna buy a ztr and mow around 15-20 yards this year on my days off. I am a career firefighter so I work 24 hrs and am off 48, leaving me plenty of time to mow. But, recently I have been made aware of a established mowing company in town wanting to sell out. Talked to the guy briefly today, and he told me if I would buy his equipment, he would throw in the clients with it. He has a truck if needed, 24' enclosed trailer, 3 diesel grasshoppers, 2 walk behinds, and various other small items. Said price for all the equipment would be around 50k. Has 50 or so contracts, with some having multiple yards. Grossed alittle over 100k the past couple years. Has one employee that mows for him.

A LOT of info for me and my wife to decipher!!!!!!! I know there is tons of factors, but does this seem like a good opportunity to pursue to you guys?????? Thanks very much!! I've been mowing for years, so that isn't the problem, it's the actual owning and running the business!!

2. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

If I were you I would not buy all of it. Maybe see if you can buy some of the equipment and get sone of the accounts. Because that is alot of money tied up and a lot if accounts to jump in feet first. I would see if you can get his some of his accounts and start small and grow. Sorry to get off topic but how do you like being career firefighter? I am 16 and am volunteer firefighter and love it and am considering trying to do it for career along with landscaping. Do you do first responder or ems and do you have a degree related to fire service if you don't mind me asking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds turnkey to me. Just be careful with the equip, unless its all new I dont see $50K. Remember, cash is hard to come by nowadays...so there arent too many people in the market for lawn equip. Also, if he sells everything piece by piece, it takes much longer. So if you buy it all make sure you get a nice deal, because afterall, it is MUCH easier/faster for him.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Without knowing much about the whole deal, Id say the mowers would be worth 7500 each max.

If he grosses 100K on 50 accounts with a employee he likley nets about 30k. Thats whys hes selling.

I just list all the equiptment and what it could reasonable sell for and offer him that, Im thinking that would be around 25k.

Could be a good opportunity.

5. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

For myself and my company having been in the business for 5 years-this would be a great opportunity. For someone just getting started I'd be leary of taking on such a big responsibility, especially having a full-time Firefighting position.

I'm interested to know if his $100k plus comes from just mowing or does he do other projects? This could be a great opportunity if you know what you're doing and have the ability to get the work done. Don't forget that there will be days, even weeks where it rain continuously on your days off and clear blue skies the days you have to work (at the fire station). Now if it's just mowing 50 accounts and nothing else, you could probably handle it-maybe. Just my opinion. But where there is a will there is a way....

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

That would be a lot to take on just starting out,if your considering it Get documentation, You need to SEE the contracts, tax forms, was he insured and licensed properly does he have or need a pest control license, I bought 15 accounts last year all under contract, I've only got four left,CUSTOMERS WILL BAIL! Just be careful. It's not the goldmine it looks like usually.

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

The question is, do you have $50,000?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. chris buck

chris buck LawnSite Member

That is not the question and if I didn't have the money would I be considering?!??!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Wow. Snappy boy! I am just saying. Please don't borrow. We can discuss it. But please don't.

10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a lot of equipment for a part timer! Do any of your fellow firefighters like to cut grass?