Too good to wave.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bassin, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

When I get caught with my hands full, I give a big head nod to them.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I wave but I don't get one back few will There a few
    we all speak some just look the other way instead speaking to me

3. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I try to wave to every LCO I see while I'm out. Tried striking up casual conversation with a guy as we both arrived at the dealership the other day, but that came to a close fairly quick as he didn't seem to speak English, and my Spanish is fairly poor. I talk to a couple Vietnamese guys when I see them every Thursday even though I have a hard time understanding them most of the time. Real friendly guys... Of course there's the guys who won't turn their head, but common courtesy is still alive among many out there. Seems to be the more seasoned guys that are the friendliest.

4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

People must be friendlier here in Ohio. I've never not been waved back at. There's more than enough work for everyone. More than enough.

5. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

I try to wave, or even talk to people I see. I have one here that is friendly, and seen one the other day and we were discussing dealers in the area. Some are very nice, others are greedy and won't even wave... Shame we can't all get along. Like someone else in the thread said, it would be great to team up with a few and share yards.

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

As a solo op I find it essential to team up.

7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Here in the farm belt of Ohio waving is such a part of the culture, to be considered friendly you have to smile and wave.

8. CuttingEdgeLawnGuys

CuttingEdgeLawnGuys LawnSite Member

Haven't run into much cut throat here in Louisiana. Everyone waves back when I wave, and I always try to wave or tip my hat to those who wave. We do have a ton of low baller's over here driving our prices down lately tho, but people around here still prefer to pay a bit more if it means better quality and customer service!

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

around here the only ones that won't wave are the "low ball, after work, cash only" types. The guys who do it for a living are all pretty alright. Heck, there's been several times that I've sent work someone's way or they have sent work mine.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have a hard time figuring out who is a legit company and which ones are just guys mowing on the side. when i'm out mowing i just wave at everyone pulling a trailer and a mower. 75% of the time they have a residential tractor mower on the trailer so i dunno if they just mow on the side or if they are going to cut a family members grass or if they are a company just starting out or what. they are all starting to look the same. :laugh:

there's only 3 large companies in my area. 2 of the companies have crews that have 3 mexicans, 2 turf tigers, and 1 isuzu npr truck. the owner is never with them and i don't know what they think if i wave. they are prolly like look a stupid gringo. :laugh:

the other is an older man with 2 helpers and he's the only one that ever waves back at me.

everyone else out there i have no idea what or who they are.